What's new

Bronze Sculpture/Statue, Very Unique - Never seen before. NEED HELP!

Wheels

Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2006
Messages
42
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
I've been researching this sculpture model (or whatever it's called) for sometime now and I just keep on hitting a wall. This is what I have so far, maybe someone out there can help me fill in the Blanks so I can solve the mystery. I have a bronze sculpture/statue that is 18 inches tall. It's a mirror image of a well known artist's work "Auguste Moreau", named SECRET. But mine is in RAW Condition, What I mean - this bronze has been pieced together part by part to make 1 statue. For example: the figures had to be casted in bronze then welded together. The boy is wearing a blanket along with straps. The blanket had been welded to him along with some straps; the blanket is bronze so that means it had to be casted in its own mold before it can be added. This pattern of add-ons castings, welding, and filings continue throughout the entire creation to this Model Statue. I'm not sure how to age this work but it appears to be old. That is one of mine big questions: How old is it? This Piece has never been waxed or polished, it's in virgin uncirculated condition. It looks like it was made yesterday, but only 150 years ago - I know that sounds crazy. Some comments I received where it's a CRUDE REPO. O.K. lets go with a bad reproduction. I always thought that repro are made in quantity to make a fast buck. I've never seen another reproduction like this any where. I've never seen a bronze model made of any statue and I've looked at Thousands of bronze statues. Here are some pictures, give me your thoughts and if you can guide me, GREAT! Thanks for looking
 

Attachments

  • 1nst2.webp
    1nst2.webp
    220.8 KB · Views: 438
  • chest4.webp
    chest4.webp
    385 KB · Views: 363
  • chest3.webp
    chest3.webp
    465.1 KB · Views: 367
  • thilev5.webp
    thilev5.webp
    522.9 KB · Views: 307
  • bz9.webp
    bz9.webp
    536.4 KB · Views: 325
First a couple of questions , Where did you get the sculpture ? , and do you live in an area where you can easily take the sculpture to a
gallery specializing in bronze sculptures ? the fact that you have already established a connection to a well known work by a famous artist
is good work - I suppose it could be a limited edition based on the original - one would expect to find an edition number somewhere on it,
if that were the case .It could even be a mock up in preparing the final edition .Based on the relationship to the famous work , I would
expect this to be worth some money . Please get back with more info ...
 
First a couple of questions , Where did you get the sculpture ? , and do you live in an area where you can easily take the sculpture to a
gallery specializing in bronze sculptures ? the fact that you have already established a connection to a well known work by a famous artist
is good work - I suppose it could be a limited edition based on the original - one would expect to find an edition number somewhere on it,
if that were the case .It could even be a mock up in preparing the final edition .Based on the relationship to the famous work , I would
expect this to be worth some money . Please get back with more info ...

I bought this sculpture from a neighbor, he is in his 80's. The only thing that he was able to tell me is that he bought it from an antique shop many years ago. He never looked into the history and the antique dealer knew Nothing about it.
I'm really not in the area of a gallery specializing in bronze sculptures, that is what I really need. I'm glade that I was able to find someone on this website that is on the same page as I am. I've sent pictures to people that claim to be Experts, but their results weren't promising - I don't blame them because they are exerts on items that are known. This type of sculpture/statue is un-heard of, I've examined/researched thousands of bronze and never came across a constructed model of a statue by any artist. I know 2 Dimensional Pictures don't give you the full effect of having the actual item it front of you, but believe me I examine this sculpture under High Magnification and this sculpture generates unlimited amount of stories that points to one person - "Auguste Moreau", but I just can't prove any of this. I agree with you, it has to be some kind of mock up to give the artist an image to work with - even artist in paint sketch out an example of what they want to paint; I'm sure bronze artist do the same. The reason I feel that there isn't any type of Marks or Signature on it because I believe this piece was never expected to be in the public hands - it never should had left the workshop.
Thanks for responding to my Post.
 
I agree with the crude repro, everything looks wrong about it, pieced together poor base, and I would suspect the patina to be fake as well... not a cast bronze statue.

SS
 
Thanks for the images. I've researched these Statues. These are 1 mold castings to create 1 solid or hollow Statue. Mine is: Many bronze castings created to make a Sculpture (many pieces - all accessories are welded on). Think of dressing a naked doll - You have a bare body doll. In order to make it look decent, you have to put on the dress, straps, the flowers, 2 ears on her head, and etc. Well, let me point out again - ALL of these extra add-ons are welded to the body. I would like to hear more about: Artist creating bronze Rough-Mock-up Models to help them create their Original. Thanks for your input.
 
Thanks for your input... I know 2 dimensional photos only allow you to see about 10% of the True Story. Yes this Sculpture is 100% Real Bronze - No the patina is real aged - Not Faked. If this does turn out to be a COPY, it would have to be called: An Original Sculpture to a famous artist work. Repro are produced as statues in multiple numbers to make a fast buck, most people can't afford to buy an original. This is a one-of-a-kind Original Sculpture. The question is by WHO? Did I find a mystery?
 
A friend of mine has a large bronze collection they picked up in flea markets over in France during world war II.The items were very cheap back then and many were gas lamp figurines Your patina does not look correct. His are all a dark brown and very heavy.
Even some reproductions can hold a little value if cast correctly.. If an original it would be signed if not it is a copy. But again that does not mean it does not have value.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom