Brownies or AirLine ? Which is Preferred ?

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Excalibur (2), GPX 4500, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
We have a Brownies Third Lung....comes with a nice inner tube and good quality hoses and regs. There is never a quality issue with Brownies.
We also have a HookaMax ($2000-it works fine for one or two divers.
It comes with a cheap PVC dinghy for a float...Look it up on EBay and then look at the Northern Tools website and search for "Model# CTA5090412". It's the same compressor with a long tube for an intake snorkel. It turns out that it is manufactured by Coleman and their part number is CTA5090412. It is sold by a dozen different vendors and would not be hard to rig yourself and save some money.
OR...buy a new Max Air 35 SCUBA compressor for$3000 and some tanks...fill your own tanks at home and use normal second stages on 100' hoses on a normal first stage on a tank. No noise, no carbon monoxide and you can make a few bucks back filling your friend's tanks.
Do yourself a favor...put a swivel on every regulator. Your neck and jaw will thank you for it.

OP
OP
C

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Ropesfish, lots of options I can see............leaning towards the Brownies. Thanks again.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Like Ropesfish said, Brownie's 3rd Lung seems to be the one of choice here on the Treasure Coast.

Personally, I don't like hookahs. I'm much more comfortable with a tank, but that's just me.

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I had rather dive with a tank, too. If you want a hookah, I would suggest a Brownie, too. I used a Keene dredge with regulator years ago. The regulator was the cheapest one on the market & was tiresome to breath through. I took it to my friend's dive shop to be rebuilt & adjusted, & he couldn't make it breath much better. I switched back to SCUBA & finished the dredging project.

Mkriegs

Sep 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I not only treasure hunt but work as a malacologist (freshwater mussel biologist). We dive 40-100 days out of the year and love our airline hookahs. I have had nothing but good experiences with the gear and support staff.

Harvest

Apr 6, 2008
Daytona Beach, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Whites SL90, Surf PI, Minelab Excalibur 800
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have used Air line .by J.Sink for 15yrs. And never had a problem with it . brownies overheats and uses a cheap compressor. . It’s your life pick well. Pm me if you have a question

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used Air line .by J.Sink for 15yrs. And never had a problem with it . brownies overheats and uses a cheap compressor. . It’s your life pick well. Pm me if you have a question

And now twice I see you have taken a "stab" at Brownie... to which you have YET to respond to...

Like I stated in the other thread where you called Brownie a "deathtrap"...

""""Brownie is the leader in third lung tech.

Also... I have used compressors of all types for eons... and downgraded to a 285x which has been pounded in hours over 10 years now... with one cup / reed replace.

2 diver's @ 133 foot stretch.

Brownie's Marine Group is the world's leader of surface supplied air diving systems.

So why would you make a statement of "deathtrap"... ?

O am curious... What do you base this on ?

My Brownie has been a loyal comp... and I would not even consider another compressor. """"

Now another comment without merit and a "plug" no less. - Sponsor for Sink OR ? ? ?

P.S. Batteries are for toys. heh

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are you using it for, that makes a big difference...Fresh/salt, depth, #of divers?

OP
OP
C

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are you using it for, that makes a big difference...Fresh/salt, depth, #of divers?

I'm considering this for fresh water only, probably in the 10 - 20 ft.depth range, certainly less than one atmosphere, no more than two divers, but most times only one.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Gator Gill has quality affordable hookah units starting at $795. They are located in Plant City, FL.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]http://www.gatorgillunit.com/[/FONT]

Harvest

Apr 6, 2008
Daytona Beach, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have been using airline for almost 20yrs now and is the best. If you gave a brownies i would junk it. Airline uses a Thomas wobble piston compressor. Brownies uses Chinese piece of crap. What is your life worth
contact Airline and have send their info

Harvest

Apr 6, 2008
Daytona Beach, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have used Airline for over 16 yrs NEVER HAD A PROBLEM ... If you want to wonder if you will make it to the surface get brownies. brownies has the perfect name, QUIZ TIME. What else is brown ies. Starts with S ?

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get cheap fills and lotz of tanks, so I dont bother with a compressor, just tanks and a line...

On sails, I have noticed a few powerdive electric systems...dont know too much about them other than two divers to 30 feet (advertised)
Lotz of names here havent seen for a bit...Aquanut?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread