What's new

Buckle & Blade found.

Estima8tor

Tenderfoot
Joined
Oct 16, 2018
Messages
7
Reaction score
16
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE : Nokta Simplex+ WHP : Minelab X-Terra 705 : XP MI-4 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So I went out to some woods yesterday morning that were once part of a colonial era homestead. This area was first settled in the 1630's as part of a land grant from King George. I found what looks to be a colonial shoe buckle and a sword shaped blade made of iron. I also found a small brass pin that that was probably used to secure a handle to the blade.

I found the blade when digging up the buckle, the buckle showed up as a quarter on my old coin-master but the blade didn't register at all. (I had iron discrimination on so it must be made of mostly iron)
For reference the blade is 18" long from tip to back and has a 15" beveled cutting edge on it. It looks like it may have been broken off right where the handle attached.

I'm pretty sure the buckle is a shoe buckle but it's my first one so I would like your opinion on it (if that's what it is).
I'm trying to figure out what the iron blade was originally designed for and how old it might be. It looks more like a sword or weapon than the typical machete or farm tool used for clearing brush
Any thoughts on these two finds would be appreciated.

IMG_20181015_150045709.webp

IMG_20181015_150017366.webp

Shoe Buckle and 14 inch cuting - Bayside Rec Center.webp
 
Last edited:
Welcome to Tnet nice finds
 
Nice finds.

-A fellow Virginian.
 
Welcome to the Tnet forum from Georgia and Congrat's on some very nice Colonial Artifacts. A lot of History there.
 
Neat stuff.

Blade i
Is SWEET! , Wish I knew my Swords / Blades better , look very nice have you cleaned it yet?

Def, looks like a shoe or Colonial buckle frame of some type , I don't dig them here So ????
.
Welcome to the site & GL with Id's & future finds.

Davers
 
Welcome to TreasureNet. Very nice find on that Sabre? Congratulations!
 
Great sabre well done
 
Welcome also
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom