What's new

Buckle needs ID

Badfrog

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2007
Messages
92
Reaction score
9
Golden Thread
0
Hi,

I found this buckle near Quebec City and now I'd like to ID it. Anybody here willing to help ?

From what I gather, this maker was active between 1849 - 1867, but I have no idea what the M A stands for. would it be military ?

THanks

T

bouclema.jpg


derr.jpg


charlet.jpg
 
badfrog, I posted this link for you yesterday but maybe you missed it. http://detection.bloguez.com/detection/page76/ The provenance of the similar buckle (different initials but same maker) is Gironde France. What's interesting about your buckle is that the maker's name and location is in relief, rather than impressed like the one in the link. Relief is usually more modern.
 
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
badfrog, I posted this link for you yesterday but maybe you missed it. http://detection.bloguez.com/detection/page76/ The provenance of the similar buckle (different initials but same maker) is Gironde France. What's interesting about your buckle is that the maker's name and location is in relief, rather than impressed like the one in the link. Relief is usually more modern.

The style of your buckle is 19th c. solidly, and the decoration on it is 19th c. script as well. Johnnyi, many of the U.S. 1850s prewar militia plates were in relief as well. :wink: What you see in the link is a Cast Brass buckle. What is pictured up above is a Stamped Brass buckle. :)

I think it might take another Canadian do decipher the meaning of the initials on the plate pictured above.



Regards,



Buckleboy
 
Upvote 0
"The style of your buckle is 19th c. solidly, and the decoration on it is 19th c. script as well. Johnnyi, many of the U.S. 1850s prewar militia plates were in relief as well. What you see in the link is a Cast Brass buckle. What is pictured up above is a Stamped Brass buckle."

Hi buckleboy. I think I may not have been clear in my post. I am looking at the buckle in my link labeled "Boucle XIX". This is clearly a pressed buckle, not cast. Look closely at the verso and you will see the detail of the reverse die, the lines of the "A", etc. . This kind of verso can not come from casting.

Anyway, the difference I was pointing out between the manufacture of that buckle and Badfrog's buckle has to do with the name on the buckle clasp. On the Gironde copy (boucle XIX) the manufacturer's name is negatively stamped stamped in, and it is of a letter style definitely older than badfrog's buckle (serifs, older style letter shape, etc.) Badfrogs clasp on the other hand, has the same manufacturer's name, but it is stamped in relief. When comparing the letters of the manufacturer's name you'll find the badfrog example to be a more "modern" style, as the letters are of the type which is far more common for later manufacture such as late 19th -early 20th century, which lack the stylized serifs. I'm in no way saying badfrog's is not real; only that it dates after the Gironde copies, which may be helpful in dating it exactly.
 
Upvote 0
Ok, here is what I found. As said, the maker (who also made buttons) was active between 1849 and 1867. It's a type of buckle that was part of christian school costume (or at least it compares to others of the same type) so it's not military. The letter M A stand for Maria, or Maria mother of Christ.
 
Upvote 0
Badfrog, please share with us the source of your research ? Is it something on the web?, a book?, etc.?
 
Upvote 0
Badfrog said:
Ok, here is what I found. As said, the maker (who also made buttons) was active between 1849 and 1867. It's a type of buckle that was part of christian school costume (or at least it compares to others of the same type) so it's not military. The letter M A stand for Maria, or Maria mother of Christ.

I have seen (and owned) other French religious buckles the same style so makes sense.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom