What's new

Buckles age needed

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
12,783
Reaction score
143
Golden Thread
0
Location
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I dug these yesterday and was currious to the age. Any Ideas? Thank you
 

Attachments

  • DSC00020.webp
    DSC00020.webp
    44.2 KB · Views: 284
  • DSC00021.webp
    DSC00021.webp
    43.7 KB · Views: 265
I thought that number might be a patent number and looked it up but it came back as a piece that attaches a hub to an axle so thats not it. They look to me like buckles that might have went on the should straps of a knapsack or something.
 
Upvote 0
That is the Patent date. Patent dates were only good for 15 years unless they were renewed. So it would mean that most likely they were made between 1906 and 1921. I tried searching for the patent info a little bit. If you want to try yourself you can go here http://www.google.com/patents Its odd that your piece has a December 25th date.
 
Upvote 0
I think they are post WW I cotton (canvas) strap utility buckles.
Here is a similar one shown on an early combat helmet.
 

Attachments

  • early 20th century helmet.webp
    early 20th century helmet.webp
    103.4 KB · Views: 330
Upvote 0
The buckle may have been used for a lot of things. Here is an old eBay add for 100 year old school book carrier. Yours are the original patented buckles no older than 1921 like cheyenne said.

eBay Feedback Profile for bob-0138bnkgross ( 2053 ). Apr-27-09 08:19. Antique 100+ year Old School Book Carrier Pat.12/25/06 (#270374985436), US $10.50, View Item ...
feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback... - Cached - Similar
 
Upvote 0
Here is the patent
 

Attachments

  • buckle 12 25 06 2.webp
    buckle 12 25 06 2.webp
    50.3 KB · Views: 407
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom