Building a Dredge and Have Questions

bfavre40

Tenderfoot
Apr 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I am planning on going on another trip to georgia to prospect in the Dahlonega region. I currently have the large Keene sluice, and want to turn it into a dredge. I understand the basic concepts of how a dredge works and can easliy get all of the parts to build it. Myself and my dad have a lot of knowledge when it comes to this type of work. The only question I cannot seem to figure out however is what type of pump to use, and how the pump situation works. I see on the threads people talking about keene and proline pumps. I am wondering if a simple water pump, such as the 2inch duromax 7hp pump for just under 200 would do the job? Moves 156 gpm. Or is there some other type of pump that you need for dredging?

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What size dredge are you building if you can give all the info we can help more.I run a small trash pump on my dredge and it works fine but it is only a 2 inch any bigger would need better pump.Some of the guys on here have them on 3 inch and they work any bigger and be prepared to spend the cash.I would look for a used dredge they are getting cheap on Craigslist.
Happy Hunting CIMG0074.jpg

Guest412

Jun 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dredge manufacturing companies make specific pumps for a reason. YOu need the volume and pressure to make a venturi pipe work correctly. My 5" project will be using a 500gpm pump with 200 ft of head pressure capability. Trash pumps should be used for just that. You need to invest in a good pump and engine combo otherwise you will beat your head on the wall when things don't perform worth a damn. Ebay, craigslist are good places to start. for a 2-3 inch look for a keene p-100 , 4" p-180-p-280 5" p-350l to hp-500 . don't skimp on pumps n engines get a good honda new or used and stick with dredge specific pumps trust me!

OP
OP
B

bfavre40

Tenderfoot
Apr 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I planned on building a 3 inch dredge. I did look all over craigslist for used dredges. Problem is the shipping as they are all over in cali or out west mostly. They are quite expensive all ranging from 600-1000 for a 2 inch, granted I can probably bargain the price a bit. However I wanted to build my own because it is cheaper and I am on a budget, considering I am a student looking to plan this gold adventure with a friend. Have been out gold prospecting before with my dad, and know quite a bit about it. Now I know the difference between the dredge pumps which create higher pressure and the trash or water pumps which create less. However I was looking at the duromax 3 inch water pump for the three inch dredge. Since I have never made one before I was just wondering if it would create enough pressure? I also plan on keeping my eyes open for a used pump on craigslist.

Guest412

Jun 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a cheap junk pump. it might cut the mustard but just isn't the right type of pump . It might work ok for a highbanker spray bar setup but poor on a dredge. You may get away with a honda knock off engine but at least get a used dredge pump you could swing that for not much more than that dewatering pump.

OP
OP
B

bfavre40

Tenderfoot
Apr 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I will look into a used dredge pump. But another question as well. If I am looking to have a 3inch suction nozzle on a suction dredge, is it ok to have a 3inch hose going up to the sluice? Or should the hose be lets say a half an inch bigger to prevent any material from getting clogged? Or is this not an issue when constructing.

Guest412

Jun 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alot of nozzles now have a slight reducer ring on the opening of the nozzle to prevent jams in the hose. So 3 inch hose is fine just use a restrictor ring on the nozzle that takes care of that and they are very effective . for the 3 inch you only need about 5hp engine so it will be easier on gas. another factor is reliablility. Something that you really need when you have a dredge places where you can't just get parts. spend a little more now and save alot later is my theory. not only money but frustration. No one likes a piece of gear that just doesn't work. Better gear means more time dredging and more gold recovered.

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run a clear water pump on my old 3" for several years ,still going strong .Didn't pay but $200 for pump and motor (free shipping ) .Works stronger than my original keene set up. I did reduce the high pressure side to 2" . 0801091113-01.jpg

OP
OP
B

bfavre40

Tenderfoot
Apr 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks strickman. Nice to hear that someone else has the setup and is having success. I also plan on reducing that side to 2inches. Looks like you have the same exact pump that I am going to buy. Where can I find a reducer ring for the nozzle though?

Guest412

Jun 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey good to see someone has already done it. No matter what set up you use volume and pressure are key to making a venturi jet work correctly no matter the delivery method. Restrictor ring can be made from a piece of round stock heated and bent in circle around whatever size pipe you need to make it just a little smaller than your nozzle size. look at the ones on keenes website for an example. another good way to prevent jams it just drill a hole across your nozzle and put a heavy gauge piece of wire or small rod straight across it. either way works.

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no restrictor ring . reducer on the outgoing side of pump. bell reducer you can see it in the pic. top of the pump. it has more suction now than factory.

Guest412

Jun 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No not the reducer on the outlet of the pump he was talking about one on the nozzle to keep over size rocks from entering the hose. You will need both. Reducing the outlet of the pump will help increase pressure which in turn will make your venturi pipe work as it should.

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I run a clear water pump on my old 3" for several years ,still going strong .Didn't pay but $200 for pump and motor (free shipping ) .Works stronger than my original keene set up. I did reduce the high pressure side to 2" . View attachment 626543

Heres the other member I talked about earlier nice rig Strickman I used a 2inch pump restricted to 1 1/2

good luck may your pan be yellow CIMG0069.jpg

Rick60

Oct 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stantard pump!!!!!

So I am planning on going on another trip to georgia to prospect in the Dahlonega region. I currently have the large Keene sluice, and want to turn it into a dredge. I understand the basic concepts of how a dredge works and can easliy get all of the parts to build it. Myself and my dad have a lot of knowledge when it comes to this type of work. The only question I cannot seem to figure out however is what type of pump to use, and how the pump situation works. I see on the threads people talking about keene and proline pumps. I am wondering if a simple water pump, such as the 2inch duromax 7hp pump for just under 200 would do the job? Moves 156 gpm. Or is there some other type of pump that you need for dredging?

The pump you are talking about will not work it does not have enough head pressure, head is much different than a pumps ability to pump GPM, I have a pump that will pump 11,100 GPH but the head is only about 80, on the other hand I own a dredge pump that I am installing on my 4 inch dredge build from Keene and the head on that pump is 210 ft the tolerances are much tighter on a pump built for a dredge a semi trash pump will not work at all, there best use is for a high banker but when you high bank it is very labor intensive and if you are an old guy like me 60! Doing hard labor is not as easy as it use to be, that's why I am building a 4in dredge, but you do need the right pump keene and proline do offer the correct pump and they are your best bet for the correct pump to use or buy a used one!!!

Rick60

Oct 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are totally correct, one thing I noticed being a gold miner and Industrial Technician for the last 38 years a lot of people won't listen to your words of wisdom and have to learn the hard way!! Good thing there are some knowlegable dredgers on this site!!!

goldgit'r

Apr 18, 2011
Florence S.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strickman,I am building a dredge with the same crashbox sluice shown in your post,not trying to hijack this thread but was curios if that is the angle you run on the sluice,if so I may need to rethink my build.Thanks Wes

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strickman,I am building a dredge with the same crashbox sluice shown in your post,not trying to hijack this thread but was curios if that is the angle you run on the sluice,if so I may need to rethink my build.Thanks Wes

Every dredge is a bit different. I constantly adjust ours depending on what matting we are running and the power setting.
When you use a crash box / highbanker you'll need a bit more pitch than a normal dredge that "shoots" water in.
Also, it depends on what you're using in the sluice.
Set up like a reg highbanker, but be prepared to adjust.
Doc

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Doc ive seen the same thing as you pointed out. on my 4 in.O/U dredge i made several setups for riffels/matting/screen for different conditions on the variety of streams that ive dredged in many states. now with my back/shoulder/knees/ankels/and bankroll shot the dredge is for sale in St.Louis,Mo. ive hit most of the gold forums here in Missouri and yahoogroups without much of a viable response, i guess ill post it on Craigslist and see what happens there.

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc ive seen the same thing as you pointed out. on my 4 in.O/U dredge i made several setups for riffels/matting/screen for different conditions on the variety of streams that ive dredged in many states. now with my back/shoulder/knees/ankels/and bankroll shot the dredge is for sale in St.Louis,Mo. ive hit most of the gold forums here in Missouri and yahoogroups without much of a viable response, i guess ill post it on Craigslist and see what happens there.

Take lots of pictures, then break it down and box it up so it will ship USPS or UPS.
Put it on EBAY. It will sell.
If you put it on CL... carry a gun and meet them at a police station.
:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread