May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I was cycling to the bus stop to go to work. I thought I would stop & talk to the archaeologist's who are doing a dig in the centre of town. Problem was couldn't get to them easily with all the barriers. So hopped up on a 7ft wall and called over to one of them. Whilst dangling there I asked if they wanted me to detect for them tomorrow on my final day off this week. They said they would take my number & the boss will call me. (unusually for Archies they had a detector, but no-one could use it very well!)

Just got to work & the phone rang saying its OK. I decided sod work & left at luchtime to help with the dig.

The only detectorist they know about are the ones that leave holes in thier trenches when they come back in the morning. So I'm doing our community a favour by showing at least some of us are honest.

Found several bits of lead & iron nails. Added 8 more Roman coins to thier collection (they had 3). IDed some stuff for them & came home for tea.

See picture of the best Roman Coin:

Attachments

• Heads.JPG
    Heads.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 571
  • Tails.JPG
    Tails.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 567
Upvote 0
That is great Crusader. Just a little bit of help by asking goes a long way to mending relationships between our two groups. I am sure that they appreciate your help and are probably also impressed with your knowledge. This is definately a win-win situation. Nice Roman Coin also.
HH Roy

Outstanding find and ambassadorship.

HH

Great job on bonding with the Archies and on an awesome coin find. Someone here, across the pond, should try that. Hopefully, it will have the same result.

If you found a hoard of Roman gold coins, would you report it? That would be a difficult decision...in all reality, I bet there are thousands of hoards each year found in the UK that aren't reported.

KirkPA said:
If you found a hoard of Roman gold coins, would you report it? That would be a difficult decision...in all reality, I bet there are thousands of hoards each year found in the UK that aren't reported.

Easy question - YES. After posting it on here of course.

You can't seriously think that thousands are found?

CRUSADER said:
KirkPA said:

I bet so, mate. UK is loaded with hoards.

CRUSADER said:
Found several bits of lead & iron nails. Added 8 more Roman coins to thier collection (they had 3). IDed some stuff for them & came home for tea.

I think that's a wonderful gesture on your part.
Little did those Archies realize when they invited you to help them with their dig,
YOU would become one of THEIR best finds ;)

Nice!

KirkPA said:
CRUSADER said:
KirkPA said:

I bet so, mate. UK is loaded with hoards.

Well, what are you doing over there then :D

Nice one, hope the Archies remeber it, but knowing our luck at their next conference we´ll all be back to being Grave Robbers, and Night Hawkers!.
Sad but True.
#Nice finds though !
HH Ray
Hope your PG Tips went down well ;-)

Great job maybe they will put you on their payroll . ;D Love that roman stuff!

They´ll just log his finds as theirs, and he´ll be forgotten (Odds of 10 to 1)
Sad but true

rayredditch said:
Sad but true

They may log them as theirs, which is fine. However, I don't think they will forget, I could tell they had fun running around helping me & logging the stuff. People remember positive experiences, sadly not as much as negative ones. We all need to open our mines a little more and not be blinkered by prior negative experiences.

Kirtpa questions easy for me, do I find a pot of gold coins & keep it to myself. Not tell the farmer (Steal & liar), not report it to the authorities (break the Law). Sell it all bit by bit for my own gain (Greed). Or do the right thing, hand it in & give the farmer his share. Get the market value & more importantly - live with myself. Easy.

CRUSADER said:
rayredditch said:
Sad but true

They may log them as theirs, which is fine. However, I don't think they will forget, I could tell they had fun running around helping me & logging the stuff. People remember positive experiences, sadly not as much as negative ones. We all need to open our mines a little more and not be blinkered by prior experiences.

Kirtpa questions easy for me, do I find a pot of gold coins & keep it to myself. Not tell the farmer (Steal & liar), not report it to the authorities (break the Law). Sell it all bit by bit for my own gain (Greed). Or do the right thing, hand it in & give the farmer his share. Get the market value & more importantly - live with myself. Easy.

Good deal, mate. Thank goodness you ain't a pirate. ::) :D

KirkPA said:
CRUSADER said:
rayredditch said:
Sad but true

They may log them as theirs, which is fine. However, I don't think they will forget, I could tell they had fun running around helping me & logging the stuff. People remember positive experiences, sadly not as much as negative ones. We all need to open our mines a little more and not be blinkered by prior experiences.

Good deal, mate. Thank goodness you ain't a pirate. ::) :D

Yeap, cos I hate rum :)

KirkPA said:
Good luck, mate, on your Roman hunt.

Section 2 tomorrow. Still have too much field & too little time ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back