Building First Sluice Box Questions

BrisJoe

Dec 30, 2012
Brisbane
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, Whites Goldmaster, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I am planning my first el cheapo sluice box and am wanting some inout from people who have tried various designs.

Basically I am looking to build a cheap no frills box for starters.
I have watched several youtube vids on homemade boxes and am thinking of using drop riffles design without carpet or expanded mesh as those things are not cheap to buy here in Aust.

I am thinking of getting some construction ply as it is treated and will not expand much when wet and router the riffles into it like this video:

How effective are these style boxes, say for a slow to average running creek? and would it be benificial to staple a small strip of carpet to the base of it to catch any flour/super duper fines that get past the riffles?

OP
OP
B

BrisJoe

Dec 30, 2012
Brisbane
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, Whites Goldmaster, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And also, what are the best shape grooves to router into the board? should I do a mixture of shapes like in the above video, starting with square cuts and then going to negitive camber angles to catch the gold in the bottom?

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BrisJoe,
Astrobouncer here on Tnet is the Master Magician with all sorts of wooden drop riffle sluice boxes, PM him for some inputs on designs and wood products to use. If the ply was constructed with waterproof glue then it might hold up for a period of time. As I recall Astro painted his with something that was black in color. Have fun and please keep us posted on your efforts and that little rocky creek at the end of the 4wd road..............................63bkpkr

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Try to find a "Marine grade" of ply for your box as it will stand up to water MUCH better than std construction ply. It's made to get wet. Even so give it a couple of good coats of poly for insurance. Over the years I've used plys of all types as well as solid woods to make sluices out of and they all have their limitations when it comes to durability.

I'm currently designing a "Long Tom" style of sluice that I plan on doing some experimenting with for some new accessories. Rough size of the box will be 8 ft long by 1 ft wide and will be formed out of aluminum so it's non magnetic. Will also be including Hungarian riffles and a header box. The header will have a separate 750 gph pump for the spray bars and the main box will have a 2200 gph pump for washing the materials. Both pumps will share a recirculating system. All powered by 12 volt system so it's portable.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I was to build a sluice out of wood it would be built from exterior grade ply, and then
given about 2 coats of "Coat-It". Coat-It is a marine sealer I've used many times to protect
and seal the bottoms of wood drift boats. This stuff is TOUGH, and a good coat of this will
make that wood impervious to water, and you could bounce an 8" boulder down it and there
likely won't be so much as a scratch on the finish.

Amazon.com: Amazing Goop Coat-It 2-Pound Adhesive Kit: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

The 2lb. package would probably cover several sluices, or you can re-coat after a few
years.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread