Bullet I.D. Help Needed

Ripcon

Sep 4, 2016
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend found this bullet at a civil war site but I need help with bullet front view.JPGbullet base.JPGbullet top.JPG an i.d.
It appears to have a nose sprue mark where it had been molded.
I looked in my McKee/Mason book and it kinda resembles a Deane & Adams bullet.
Can anybody verify this or help me? I've attached 3 different images. I don't have calipers but it appears to measure around a .44 calibre.

I would say smith carbine, but the caliber is too small, maybe a modern made black powder revolver bullet? Cannonball might know, I dunno

Upvote 0
Ripcon, it does indeed "resemble" a .44 Deane-&-Adams bullet... but that type was cast to have a 1/4"-long lead pin/stud on the center of the bullet's base. In your photo of the bullet's base I see no trace of a pin/stud ever having been there. If that is correct, it cannot be a Deane-&-Adams.

Please gently scrub the dirt-encrustation out of the bullet's body-groove, so we can see whether that groove has rounded edges, or is "square-cut," or has multiple tiny parallel ridges (called reeding or knurling) in it. If it has reeding/knurling, it is from no earlier than 1877, and perhaps much later.

Just some friendly advice... the McKee-&-Mason book on civil war bullets/projectiles has now been officially discontinued by the publisher. Rather than pay a premium price for that obsolete book, I suggest you pay about $12 for a copy of the Thomas-&-Thomas "Handbook Of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges"... available from its author Jim Thomas at his website.
http://www.civilwarprojectiles.com/
Click on "Books."

Also, you can get a high-quality stainless steel digital caliper from the Harbor Freight Tools website (or a local store) from a mere $17.99... which will pay for itself in correctly identifying various relics besides bullets, such as coins, buttons, buckles, etc.
https://www.harborfreight.com/catal...atured+Weight,f,Sale+Rank,f&q=digital+caliper

Don't buy the cheap plastic version... it wears out quickly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back