What's new

Bullet ID Anyone?

Swartzie

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2009
Messages
791
Reaction score
52
Golden Thread
0
Location
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Anyone care to ID a bullet for me? It's bigger than what I'm used to seeing so I'm curious.
 

Attachments

  • bullet a.webp
    bullet a.webp
    46.8 KB · Views: 300
  • bullet b.webp
    bullet b.webp
    28.2 KB · Views: 281
  • bullet c.webp
    bullet c.webp
    31.1 KB · Views: 290
I have found several of them. All of the ones I found was in one spot. Near a old railroad track. I just figured that they were not bullets. I hope you get an id.
 
Upvote 0
I own a shotgun and shoot slugs on occasion; that does not look like a slug to me. Looks like solid copper or brass, and really doesn't even appear to be a bullet.
 
Upvote 0
It is a "Foster type" slug and is not Civil War era. The lines on the side are to help it spin once it leaves the shotgun bbl...d2
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a slug to me. It would have had a large felt wat attached to the end of it where the hole is to make it more aerodynamic after it leaves the barrel. Monty
 
Upvote 0
It is in fact a shotgun slug.
Here is one I have dug......

dsc00520x.jpg


Like Sgt. Preston (RCMP) said "King, this case is closed."

BW
 
Upvote 0
Whats the date of it? Is it cw period or modern?
 
Upvote 0
DirtyMike said:
Whats the date of it? Is it cw period or modern?

pretty hard to tell, they changed very little. It has some age because of the oxidation, whether that is 50 years or 100 is hard to tell.....
 
Upvote 0
Those slugs are the older traditional slugs as opposed to saboted slugs used by many today. As far as I know they would have a rolled crimp and there wouldn't be any marks from crimping. If you look into the top of a loaded slug of that type you can see the nose of the slug exposed. They still make these slugs today, mostly used in smoothe bore shotguns. The newer slug guns have a bit of rifling and will be more accurate because of the spin imparted on the slugs. In fact you can buy a slug choke that has some rifling and it screws onto the barrel of a smoothe bore shotgun. Then you can screw it off and shoot small shot again. Monty
 
Upvote 0
As per Wikipedia........
Foster Slugs

A Foster slug, invented by Karl Foster in 1931, is a type of shotgun slug designed to be fired through a smoothbore shotgun barrel. The standard American domestic shotgun slug, they are sometimes referred to as "American slugs" to differentiate them from the standard "European slug" design popularized by Brenneke.

The defining characteristic of the Foster slug is the deep hollow in the rear, which places the center of mass very near the tip of the slug, much like a shuttlecock. If the slug begins to tumble in flight, drag will tend to push the slug back into straight flight. This gives the Foster slug stability and allows for accurate shooting through smoothbore barrels out to ranges of about 75 yards (69 m). Most modern Foster slugs also have "rifling", which consists of thin fins on the outside of the slug. Contrary to popular belief, these fins actually impart no spin onto the slug as it travels through the air. Since the slug is fired at a supersonic velocity, the nose of the slug pushing a shockwave creates a vacuum on the side of the slug, where the fins are located. The actual purpose of the fins is to minimize the friction on both the barrel and projectile and allow the slug to safely be swaged down when fired through a choke, although accuracy will suffer and choke wear will be progressively accelerated when fired through any choke gauge tighter than open.

It is also possible to fire Foster slugs through rifled slug barrels, though lead fouling (build-up in the rifle grooves) can be a problem. Accuracy is otherwise not appreciably affected in standard shotgun riflings.

The Brennke was invented in 1898....and the Foster in 1931.... so I would say this should answer your main question about "age". Sometime 1931 and later....still in use today. They are and were popular for hunting in those areas of the USA where High Powered Rifles are restricted and Shotguns must be used.

TiredIron
 
Upvote 0
I was getting there tirediron but I tend to tell more than anyone really wants to know. So, thanks for finishing up what I started. :icon_thumleft: Monty
 
Upvote 0
Monty said:
I was getting there tirediron but I tend to tell more than anyone really wants to know. So, thanks for finishing up what I started. :icon_thumleft: Monty

I enjoy and appreciate all the information you and everyone else here on Tnet posts. Don't ever stop posting because you think someone don't want to read it, cause I do. This is a forum of not only our hobbies, interests, and passions, but of very important and needed information. I can't count the number of times I have been doing an internet search on something and Tnet pops up as one of the sources. :thumbsup: Keep it up Monty, my Okie neighbor. ;D
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Bullet
Replies
5
Views
840

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom