Re: Bullet ID help please
I will concede that some savage bullets are listed but they don't match the one in question. It's kind of hard to explain, but I'll try. When the book says something like, .54 cal Sharps, that refers to the weapon that fired the bullet, not necessarily the manufacturer of the bullet. I doubt we will ever know the manufacturer of many of the old bullets as they were made by a varety of companies and many were cast at home. But when we talk about modern bullets it is fairly easy to id the manufacturer. For instance I found a 180 grain, 30 caliber Hornady softpoint bullet in the CTH3. So the bullet would be identified as a 180 grain Hornady softpoint. It could have been shot in a Remington rifle, but it would not be called a 180 grain Remington. But you can't make that destinction with the older lead bullets. Hope that explains what I was getting at. Monty