Bullet Identification help, carved name in rock with large X

Ihatepoisonivy

Feb 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any thoughts, the bullet was found behind battle of new hope church, little bigger than the size of a crayon head and the carving on rock was in the woods about mile away on top of hill, very large rock, to big to budge...says DC Pierson, New Hope April 8 1900 ....any thoughts?
image.jpg
image.jpg

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Although your bullet was found in the vicinity of the civil war battlefield at New Hope Church, it appears to be a Model-1882 Maynard bullet. See the photo below, showing several Model-1882 Maynard varieties and calibers. You said yours is "a little bigger than the size of a crayon head" -- but there are thick crayons and thin crayons, so I cannot even guess which one of the Maynard varieties in the photo your bullet may be.

Since you are digging bullets, which you want ID-help for, I suggest you buy a Digital Caliper for making accurate measurement of a bullet's diameter, which is crucial information for correctly identifying the bullet. A good-quality Digital Caliper can be bought on Ebay or at Home Depot and Harbor Freight tool-stores for about $15. See the bullet diameter-measuring photo, below.

Also, I have to mention that due to the lack of lead-oxide "patina" on your bullet, it might be a 20th-Century cast lead bullet, for blackpowder shooters and cartridge-reloaders. For example, compare your bullet with #319050 and 323061 in the sales catalog of modern-made cast lead bullets at the following website:
Ol' Buffalo Bullet Mold Tables

Note, the first three digits of the catalog item-numbers is the bullet's diameter (for example, #319050 is .319-inch in diameter). If your bullet's diameter is larger than that, it is more likely to be an original (not reproduction) Model-1882 Maynard bullet.

Attachments

• bullets_POSTWAR_Maynard_1882model_110_RockyMountainBulletMagazine_sca.jpg
    bullets_POSTWAR_Maynard_1882model_110_RockyMountainBulletMagazine_sca.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 97
  • bullet_unknown_diameter_TN_fyrffytr1_P1074954.jpg
    bullet_unknown_diameter_TN_fyrffytr1_P1074954.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your name. I think I should change mine to 'IHateHorseFlys':laughing9:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a modern cast handgun bullet to me. I have several nearly identical and they are .45 caliber, weighing 155 grains. Used for plinking. But you will have to give us some more info to make a good identification. Weight and diameter in decimal fractions would be most helpful as well as the base of the bullet (flat or concave).

Upvote 0

TimberCrack

Jul 30, 2013
wyoming
Detector(s) used
white's 6000/D coin master
White's MXT
Garrettt ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it looks like it isn't even lead...maybe a new total copper bullet????

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread