✅ SOLVED Found this bullet in south west Atlanta, wondering if its CW era. Thanks!

Ihatepoisonivy

Feb 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it's civil war era.. The crimping marks around the bottom and the way that it's mushroomed lead me to believe that it's a more modern bullet.. Also the rifling marks on it are very sharp.. Just does'nt look civil war to me.. I may be wrong but thanks for sharing..

Upvote 0

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, that looks very modern. In the south they call that penny a... " Stinkin Lincoln ".
but thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember...the civil war officially ended in 1865 according to the federal government. In fact the war continued on another 20 years to the mid 1880s. Confederate Guerillas were still fighting and killing union troops well after General Lee surrendered at Appomatox Courthouse Virginia in april 1865.

Many skirmishes and all out battles continued on all across the south. So...a civil war era bullet covers a lot of years.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ihatepoisonivy

Ihatepoisonivy

Feb 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't see it in the picture but it has the white patina on it, that's what led me to believe it was pretty old, 8 inches deep, also about 20 feet from earthworks near Battle of Utoy Creek. Many years have passed and many bullets have found there way in the ground since so I suppose it could be later, I had read once that crimping like the one on this one had been done with a coin.

Upvote 0

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Reeded cannelures like the one on your bullet didn't come about until the late 19th century, so that eliminates it as a possible civil war bullet. Keep looking though, you're definitely in the right area.

Upvote 0

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't see it in the picture but it has the white patina on it, that's what led me to believe it was pretty old, 8 inches deep, also about 20 feet from earthworks near Battle of Utoy Creek. Many years have passed and many bullets have found there way in the ground since so I suppose it could be later, I had read once that crimping like the one on this one had been done with a coin.
---- SEE THIS IS WHAT I AM ALWAYS TALKING ABOUT !!!!!!!!!!!! Someone who did some RESEARCH and found a location and THEN went on to SWING , that is the key -- Ivy you will do fine in the future , You have learned the most basic concept RESEARCHING !!! SW ATLANTA is a hot spot that is often overlooked !!!! Good Luck in your future searchs

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ihatepoisonivy

Ihatepoisonivy

Feb 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I will try again some other day soon,by the time I walked a mile to the spot I had about 30 minutes before lightning and rain, I'm sure something will come about on my next visit. Thanks for everyone's input.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bullets didn't have those multiple tiny parallel ridges in the body-groove until approximately 1880. (Also, many bullets are still beng made with the tiny ridges in the body-groove today.) It is an easy-to-remember sign that a bullet is from after the civil war -- and possibly more than 100 years later.

Attachments

• bullet_POSTWAR_reeded-groove_32caliber_photobyBebo_DSCN0245_855x642.jpg
    bullet_POSTWAR_reeded-groove_32caliber_photobyBebo_DSCN0245_855x642.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 89
Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're hunting out by Utoy Creek, you're in a good spot to find some relics. I did a lot of work on an apartment complex out off Cascade Rd years ago and we dug some nice stuff (mostly bullets) on our lunch breaks. I know that there were still earthworks visible then and I'd imagine there still are if it hasn't been developed since. Keep in mind that a lot of the battle ground is inside the nature preserve, and I'm pretty sure it's off limits to detecting......

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread