Bullet & Musket ball

flynn

Jan 30, 2017
Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster & Delta Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these Sunday and can't figure out the bullet, similar to a Picket, but not the caliber. Next, my dad has a Musket rifle and believes this squashed item could be a fired Musket ball, but he's not sure. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you.

20170213_202044.jpg 20170213_212113.jpg 20170213_200558.jpg 20170213_200644.jpg 20170213_212133.jpg

Attachments

• 20170213_202106.jpg
    20170213_202106.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 154

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the bullet most likely a modern one as it has no gas seal rings like a black powder type muzzle loader would have ...and has a hole thru it where are modern type aero dynamic tip piece would go thru at .... hard to say if the squashed metal bit is a civil war eraish round ball or not but it would be lead if it were ... looks to have rust ( thus its iron based) --so not a lead ball

civil war bullets tend to be made of lead --there are the 69 cal round balls (early in the war used by both sides in smoothbore "springfeild musket rifles" --which were heavily used by the south thru out he entire war as it was what was commonly stocked in the southern Armories ) --the north had started to replace the 69 cal with the newer rifled barreled 58 caliber but fearing the south might break away the north wisely did not stock the newer 58 calibers in any of the south states Armories -- while the 58 could use round balls.... having a rifled barrel it could make excellent use of the "minie " conical bullet" type design which had gas rings which engaged with the rifling in the barrel as it was loaded --so it did not need a patch like a round ball did --this sped up the loading / firing process and the conical design being more aerodynamic and the rifled barrel imparting a spin on the bullet ---made for a far more accurate and long range round

the typical northern soldier using a 58 cal with minie bullets , had a great advantage over a typical southerner with a smoothbore 69 musket .both in speed of loading as well as accurate range of fire

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
modern worthless bullet and the squashed one isn't a musket ball, it's a little piece of iron; musket balls are lead.

Upvote 0

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it is a bullet, there is a hole down through the center. Might be a fishing sinker, the hole being where the wire went through that hooks to the fishing line.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flynn

flynn

Jan 30, 2017
Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster & Delta Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A sinker is what someone else said, I haven't seen or used sinkers like this but that's what it does look like.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread