bull.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 218
  • bullet,.jpg
    bullet,.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 213

junkdigger

Sep 15, 2004
clarkston,wa.
I think you have a modern bullet there. Many of us reloaders prefer cast bullets for their lower cost,longer barrel life,and very good accuracy when made right. I cast some of my own and buy some from commercial casters. Google Lasercast for info on cast bullets. That bullet is modern,I think,because of the beveled base,which is a relatively recent innovation.Bevel base bullets go into the case neck easier,especially with automated loading machinery. It was probably for a 9mm or .38 caliber handgun cartridge.If so it would be .357 or .358" diameter,about .001" larger than groove diameter of the barrel.

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasn't there a bullet like this posted awhile back? Someone found it in a lake? page 2 deerhunter posted it looks close.

Upvote 0

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a .38 Special round-nose. The wide groove is to hold bullet lube (wax or grease). The tarnish on the bullet is rather thick, so it could be older. The .38 goes back a ways. There's also .38 S&W, an older round not used so much anymore, but I think it was popular 100 years ago. If you weigh the bullet and get a precise measurement in grams I might be able to tell you more.

The .38 uses basically the same bullet dia. as a 9mm. I think .38 is usually sized to .357 or .358, while 9mm is typically sized to .356 or .357... not that it bears on this discussion ;D ;D

Upvote 0

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DigEmAll said:
Ditto the Junkdigger's report.

I missed the bit about the bevel base in his post, but lead usually takes at least 30 or 40 years to get that color of oxidation in the ground, unless you live in an area with particularly high humidity and acidic soil.

If you provide the weight of this bullet, we might even be able to match it to a specific mould. :P

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Green1

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
my scale isnt as good as most but it says 0.3 oz-- 8 grams thanks guys,, a lot of finds in this area are 60-80- years old , i thought maybe this was older than that..

Upvote 0

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Many people seem to misunderstand the term "Modern" when used in relation to bullets and firearms.

"Modern" in this use means: Used in a round consisting of a bullet inside a casing with a primer and using smokeless powder.

A "modern" round in this definition can be 100 years old.

;) ;) ;)

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P.S digemall , if the projectile measures . 375 it is from an old 38 Short Colt round. If it is.355 - 9 It say be from a .38 long Colt or one it's modern diritives, .38 special or .357.

ncluded some of the eprevious forms, but not limited to these.

Welcome back oh rested up receiver of the taxpayers money heeh

Tropical Tramp

Attachments

• .jpgbullet.jpg
    .jpgbullet.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 170
  • .jpmore.jpg
    .jpmore.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 157
Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rusted_
So, does anybody know what year the first moulds for tapered-heel bullets were introduced?

No, but I have seen some for black powder revolvers, such as the colt navy model.

The idea of tapered heel projectiles has been arond for over 100 years, the old boys were very sharp.

Tropical Tramp

Upvote 0

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RealdeTayopa said:
Rusted_
So, does anybody know what year the first moulds for tapered-heel bullets were introduced?

No, but I have seen some for black powder revolvers, such as the colt navy model.

The idea of tapered heel projectiles has been arond for over 100 years, the old boys were very sharp.

Tropical Tramp

Thanks, Tropical... That's what I thought. I've dug cast lead bullets that were dropped 20 to 30 years ago, and they didn't even begin to have the degree of patination that Green1's specimen exhibits.

In fact, most dug bullets I've seen with the amount of oxidation shown here are at least 80-100 years old.

Until somebody can prove to me that tapered-heel bullets absolutely didn't come out until such-and-such date, I'm still leaning toward its being a .38 Spl or .38 S&W revolver bullet from the earlier part of the 20th Century. The .38 Special came out in 1902

;D

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread