Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hunting a place frequented by people who have fired a lot of guns over the centuries. The one hillside is bullet heaven, from Civil War onward. In one place the bullets are so thick I can only go 2 steps before finding one, and from where they fired them from I have a huge collection of brass casings.

Question: I'm finding full metal jacket military type bullets. These look to be copper clad and some steel. What era were they used and available to civilians? Thanks.

Upvote 1
Congrats on your bullet bounty! HH!

Jacketed bullets have been around since 1889, they were developed in Switzerland as I remember, with the first being widely used by the French Lebel rifle. In the US I'd guess turn of the 20th Century onward

Last edited:
Yep the metal jacketed bullets are the more modern. Still see a lot of lead or lead alloy pistol bullets, but about 99 percent of modern rifles fire jacketed bullets. The full metal jackets are often military surplus but are offered to the civilian market as well. The soft nose, hollow point, and poly tipped stuff is usually a hunting bullet but are also fired for practice. Once a rifle is set up with a particular round the shooter often practices with it using the same ammo on occasion. Changing types of ammo in a rifle will often greatly effect the point of impact. The hunting or expanding ammo is quiet a bit more expensive so not as heavily used for common plinking. :icon_thumleft:

Thanks guys. I have all of the above. I gave them to the landowner who loves shooting in a glass riker mount. He seemed to really like that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back