Bummed-out on the beach

bobthedetector

Greenie
Aug 4, 2005
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
BH Landstar
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
I had been waiting weeks for this weekend. The wife and I were spending the weekend in Galveston. I had Sunday morning set aside for MDing on the beach. Got to Stewart Beach around 7:15. Going from the parking lot to the beach I got a good repeatable tone, and found a junky zinc penny. Since it was the beach, I set it to "All Metal". For the next hour I got nothing but questionable hits. I even dug some of them, and when I had dug down a few inches and checked the hole, the signal had disappeared. >:( I found one bottle top on the way back to the car, and that was it. I figured I would at least find a few coins since it was the middle of Labor Day Weekend. It almost makes you want to squirt lighter fluid on it and set it ablaze (almost). :'(

Bob

Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Bob,

did you know that Galveston hosted a metal detector convention from Mon thru Sat? All the competative events

were held at Stewart Beach. The news release said they expected 1,238 contestants. Sounds like you just went

down on a bad weekend.

Was the lighter fluid for the car, the beach, Galveston, or your detector?

Just kidding. Your results a bummer for sure.

have a good un.............
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH BOB!

Don't give up!!!! It does get better! :D My first thousand finds were bullets and bullet shells! :D

Nana ;)

lowtidetim

Jan 28, 2005
Virginia Beach, Virginia
The beach is a fickle mistress, too much sand, too much wind, the wrong tide the wrong place to satart the hunt, just a few of the factors that can influence you luck. The very next time you hunt everything could line up, the stars, the planets, the wind and the tide and bingo you have a great day. The thing that makes this sport so much fun is you never know what you will find. The moral of the story is a bad day of detecting at the beach is better than a good day at work. Pirates unite and locate the booty. Keep at it and you will have a good day soon.
HH
LTT

Attachments

• 111 VB Surf Pirates RS.jpg
    111 VB Surf Pirates RS.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 449
  • 111 VB Surf Pirates RS.jpg
    111 VB Surf Pirates RS.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 444

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We've all had those days! I have been having a run of bad luck lately myself but it is just making me more determined to keep at it. I hunted a certain beach for 4 straight days and found nothing but junk until the last hour of the 4th day when I found two rings within ten feet of each other! On the way to the car I found a couple of quarters on the footpath leading down to the beach! That made it all worth while. I've noticed that these finds seem to run in cycles and when you're up, you do good no matter what. I hope I'm starting on an up cycle now as I have been finding some wheat cents in unexpected places, and even found a silver earring yesterday while just goofing off! Call it luck, call it karma or whatever, that's the way it goes. But in the end what it all boils down to is that you have to put that coil over it to recover it. A little luck, a little research and bingo you're back on your game. Keep on keepin' on and it will work out in the end!....JIM

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow !!! I posted about a week ago soliciting inputs on detecting at Galveston beaches. Got "1" reply...maybe those that didnt reply were on their way to the detector convention and didnt want any more competition !!! HAHAHA Well I'm goin next week for a few days...hope its replenished a bit by then. still hope my GTA1000 works on the beach...not sure how to use it there never been on the beach with it as yet...been told to set it to all metal and set sensitivity to around 6 so it doesnt go overboard on noise....hmmmmmmmm

Rick

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot factors go into wether you find much. The area is only one. Keep at it try to learn what went wrong . Practice does make perfect when metal detecting. Read as much as you can, talk to as many detectorist as you can. Always be thinking"How can I get better".
Good Hunting,
Ed Donovan

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If working a well used beach you should NOT use all metal. You will be digging junk all day. Small pieces of rusted metal,nails,tinfoil,bottle caps & such. I use all metal only on abandoned beaches. When you dig out a hole, you often will dig out the target and throw it. Make sure you put the sand you dig out, in a pile, and check it with your detector. That is where it will often be. Sometimes the signal will be a tiny rusted piece that you may never find. You may need more practice. Try detecting in your front yard. Don't burn your detector yet. It may not be malfunctioning. If you quit now, you will never find anything. Keep trying.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread