Burg archid avist 1780 x button with chain

OP
OP
C
Aug 26, 2013
Curious if this from my grandfathers uniform in ww2? I found it in a box I inherited from my grandmother. In the box I also found needles packaged from the early 1900. (From Penny's)

image-3380224021.jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It's usually written, "ARCHID. AVST. DUX BURG. CO. TYR. 1780 X"; an abbreviation of "Maria Theresia, Dei Gratia Romanorum Imperatrix, Hungariae Bohemiaeque Regina, Archidux Austriae, Dux Burgundiae, Comes Tyrolis. 1780 X", which means, "Maria Theresa, by the grace of God, Empress of the Romans, Queen of Hungary and Bohemia, Archduchess of Austria, Duchess of Burgundy, Countess of Tyrol. 1780.
Don.....
PS:
The "X" is actually a saltire, and was added in 1750 indicating the new debased standard of the thaler (coin); though I'm not suggesting the object in your item is a coin.
Appears to be a replica coin fashioned into your find--like this:
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=50110
Don.....

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
I noticed this is your very first post. So, welcome aboard caroldonovan from the great state of Pennsylvania (USA).
reading_01.gif
You didn't mention your state (New England consists of Maine, Connecticut Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Vermont) - so, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting your state for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread