BARKER
Bronze Member
Hi Loco; YUP, That was my point. We suggested detectors. He said no. Whats next ya knows. PEACE:RONB
Most any detector will work doesn't have to be a Deus. I've used a Whites 6000DI hipmount in these types of searches for years! For real tight spots, you just use the coil stuck in a piece of PVC pipe 3' and push the box along in front of you. No need for headphones since the box & speaker is right next to your head, and background noise shouldn't be a big issue. Run your discrimination just a taste over bottle caps. If you have access the small 4 or 5" coils will allow you to get closer to the pipes & duct pipe. Since I gather you have good scoop your goodies are in a PVC pipe discrimination shouldn't be that big of an issue. I highly recommend knee pads & elbow pads!! Even $20 ones from Walmart are a lot cheaper than a trip to the ER for a nail in the knee. (Don't ask me how I know this!) Hard hats should be worn to deflect nails from wood flooring etc. Get one with a chin strap or flip for a rock climbing helmet or you'll be picking it up it all day. Finally, depth etc shouldn't be a real big issue since who ever buried the goodies couldn't have stood up to dig and probably figured a foot or so was sufficient.Just borrow an Xp Deus. Remove the lower shaft with the coil mounted from the upper part of the assembly. and the wireless headphones, or just have the wireless control unit in your top pocket and listen to it's speaker as you swing/sweep the lower shaft and coil. There is a guy in SC I met last year that hunts under old houses with this set up. Are any utilities lines/pipes under the crawl space?
Sorry will post some pictures soon - it's just a standard crawlspace, 10x15, about 2-3ft from the ground to ceiling, some duct work hanging above (the furnace is down there).
The pipe we recovered was just a standard foot long pvc pipe. The coins themselves are coins a family member (who has since passed away) had been hoarding over the years (krugerrand). So that's how we knew they were down there somewhere, we just don't know exactly how many there are.
Since the pipe was a little over a foot down, I would like sweep the area with something that actually shows what's burried. There are no utilities/pipes under the dirt, and it's very soft, so I am sure it would be obvious if another pipe is burried.
Last couple times we went down there it just felt like the timeranger was giving us too many false positives to be very helpful.
*I guess my primary question is, I have seen some handheld devices/mine sweepers that look like they display a radar/sonar type picture of what is buried a few feet down. I feel like I could spend hours down there with a metal detector and not feel confident we found everything, so that's why I would love to do something a little more sophisticated. Can anyone recommend anything?