Buried in the Woods

DryVaporSteam

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone!

I've been through 35 years of metal detecting and at least a dozen different machines, including my first one was a "Turtle" if anyone remembers that one :)

Right now I have a White's TM-808 2-box and a Garrett AT-Pro.

My interest now is hunting for the buried treasures. Mason jars, pipes, etc.. in the woods.

I love walking the woods all day waiting for the beep!

I'm not to keen on the TM-808. I used to have the Gemini-3 and liked it better, but I would rather have a stick machine instead of 2-box.

I have a budget of no more than $5,000.00

I've been looking at the:

Garrett ATX Deepseeker, Minelab CTX 3030 and Nokta Deephunter 3D Pro

I will only use the new machine for large objects that are 1' - 4'+ deep

Am I looking at the best options? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to TNet! We love spending days in the woods! So relaxing!

OP
OP
D

DryVaporSteam

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the welcomes! I've been a member for years! Just haven't logged in forever :)

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DryVaporSteam,

Welcome back from Dayton, Ohio. I have a CTX-3030 and love it but I definitely haven?t found or targeted anything beyond 18 inchesa very large horseshoe and even then the signal was a little faint. I am by no means an expert on the machine and will let the true experts chime in on the technical aspects of the 3030. Question, are you successful targeting mason jars filled with coins/treasure etc. I ask in wondering if it is truly worthwhile specifically targeting a buried horde or something like it. A have a friend whose family lore has the grandfather burying gold coins in mason jars around the farm after losing his money that was in banks during the depression. The grandfather died unexpectedly after an accident without telling anyone where he had hidden the coins. The farm has changed hands many times since the accident. It is also a significant distance from where we live and the farm was large in the hundred of acres range with lots of timber. I am wondering if it would be worthwhile going after it as no one knows if the story is even true or not and we would need still need to gain permission to detect the farm. I would think it would be very suspicious to try and detect more than one day - how to split with the new owner and with my friend?s family and the potential legal ramifications if it is truly lost or just misplaced. Then add in where to hunt on a farm that is hundreds of acres - beyond the fence line, unique natural features, and largest trees, just looking for your thoughts since it appears you do this type of detecting.Good luck with your hunt. Walt

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
One article stated this guy liked to bury under trees. Under the stump, roots below the trunk type caches.

If you dig under stumps , once in a while you can find a route between roots. Vs damaging any. Makes for a easy in and out cache.
Just blend the disturbed ground to match what is around it. Keeping soil/sand from littering the site or creating a contrast helps.
Been...40? years since I had a tree I used the same way.

https://okietreasurehunter.blogspot.com/2009/05/california-faith-healer.html

OP
OP
D

DryVaporSteam

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DryVaporSteam,

Welcome back from Dayton, Ohio. I have a CTX-3030 and love it but I definitely haven?t found or targeted anything beyond 18 inchesa very large horseshoe and even then the signal was a little faint. I am by no means an expert on the machine and will let the true experts chime in on the technical aspects of the 3030. Question, are you successful targeting mason jars filled with coins/treasure etc. I ask in wondering if it is truly worthwhile specifically targeting a buried horde or something like it. A have a friend whose family lore has the grandfather burying gold coins in mason jars around the farm after losing his money that was in banks during the depression. The grandfather died unexpectedly after an accident without telling anyone where he had hidden the coins. The farm has changed hands many times since the accident. It is also a significant distance from where we live and the farm was large in the hundred of acres range with lots of timber. I am wondering if it would be worthwhile going after it as no one knows if the story is even true or not and we would need still need to gain permission to detect the farm. I would think it would be very suspicious to try and detect more than one day - how to split with the new owner and with my friend?s family and the potential legal ramifications if it is truly lost or just misplaced. Then add in where to hunt on a farm that is hundreds of acres - beyond the fence line, unique natural features, and largest trees, just looking for your thoughts since it appears you do this type of detecting.Good luck with your hunt. Walt
I haven't done much cache hunting for a long time. I've found ammo boxes and pipes with coins, but never a mason jar. My finds were also around the 18" mark. When I found these in 1988 I was using a Whites 6000 Di Pro plus on all metal mode. Testing the Gemini 3 and Whites 808, I've found things over 24", but they were all large pieces of steel.

My lucky spot was in a woods. I was lucky to have a land owner that wasn't interested in what I was doing. If I don't have permission from a land owner, I look for thick woods near parks that may have buried loot of bad guys that don't own their own land, but need to hide things. My approach with a land owner is to ask permission without making it sound exciting, more just a guy looking to walk around their property poking around...

The 2-box are great for cleared areas, but too much trouble in a woods, catching on bushes and weeds.
Thats why I'm looking to see what a good option would be for just cache hunting with a swing machine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread