Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A long time ago, I heard a legend about a line of buried tanks from WW2, including rare Tiger tanks from Germany.

It was supposed to have been in some army base in Arizona, and the last person to know where they were was an Army sergeant who had a stroke and couldn't remember where they were buried.

There were a score or two of them, and they were ordered to 'disappear' so that they didn't cause someone any more work.

Has anyone heard anything about this story?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Sounds like one of those END OF WAR stories like cases of surgical instruments buried at Ft. Howard, or the equipment buried at that old air strip in Florida, you know one of those grain of salt stories!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first saw the tittle I thought they may have been buried in Africa, wrecked ones that were just eaten up by sandstorms.

As far as any on US soil, it would make sense. Like anything captured that would be valuable you wanted to see what made it tick. I think they would have done reverse engineering to see how it was made and if any improvements could be made as well. The Tiger was one hell of a tank, and the sound alone made men tremble.

So buried, I doubt it... I think they were used to gain knowledge and latter melted down. We probably kept one, or two running ones around and still have them somewhere.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Yea, I think there is a tiger at Aberdeen Proving Ground in Md.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Military History Chanel had a program on about two weeks ago showing a German Panther tank from WWII being pulled out of a river in Poland. It seems that this tank tried to cross this river during a battle and got stuck and eventually got buried. It sat in that river for 50 years or so. The tank was shipped to California for complete restoration. I believe it took 5 years to complete the restoration.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankn said:
Yea, I think there is a tiger at Aberdeen Proving Ground in Md.

The Aberdeen Tank Museum in Maryland is awesome. I've toured it several times while visiting family in MD. It has Russian T34's, JS III's, T62's, German Mark III's, Panthers. American Shermans, M26, M46, M48's, & M60's. It even has British, French, and Japanese tanks from WWI through the present. Great place to stop if you are ever driving through.

OP
OP
Bum Luck

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recall an ad in Shotgun News I think in the 80's, for a Tiger tank for a mere $50,000. Now they would likely be a million dollar find.

The military often buries stuff to make it go away. Unofficially, of course. We've all heard those stories. If there's no paper, there's no objects, but objects without paper are a problem. Sometimes the motivation is no more than it's more of a hassle to dispose of it through official channels.

This one passed the probability test:
1: It's probable that Army would ship German tanks back to the US after WW2.
2: It's probable that the interest would wane as tank technology advanced past the WW2 point.
3: It's probable that after a time, they would be a PITA for some CO.
4: It's probable that a trusted NCO would be in charge of making them disappear.
etc.

Bottom line: a whole row of German tanks would be a multi-million dollar find.

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 2 x Gold Snoops Whites Bullseye Pinpointer
Re: Buried Spitfires

I live around 40 klm from Oakey where the Spitfires are rumoured to be buried. I believe the story is true and the Spits are buried down coal shafts, still wrapped in greasy paper. (Well the Merlin engines are anyway) There are a lot of coal shafts in the vicinity of Oakey and I knew an old gent that knew where they were and refused to disclose it. He spent a lot of time pinching stuff off the old fighters after WW2 and told me how he used to avoid the dogs that were there to protect them. The old fella died a few years back and took his secret with him much to my chagrin.

The Cat

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
It's no secret that the Navy dumped a lot of aircraft over the side when the war ended. The various crafts and vehicles were disposed of on land also. So I don't think it is out of the question that there are tanks buried all over the world.

I recall seeing a photo many many years back of an airstrip somewhere. Dozers had dug a huge hole and pushed in dozens of new unused P38's. They then drove over them to crush them down and covered them up.

Seems like such a waste now when you consider the extreme values of the various equipment today. At the time they were part of a massive amount of new and used surplus equipment of which little was needed. Considering the cost of returning it the US or where ever and maintaining it, especially when it might never be used, it was cost effective to just "bury it".

What happened to all those mothballed WWII ships? Some were sold to other countries and a few became floating museums. Most were eventually cut up for scrap or used for target practice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread