Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not posted in awhile so thought I'd catch ya up on what's been up.After my granddad die last febuary the family split up his belongings.I got most of the furniture & some other items.Anyway the plan after that was they were going to let the fire department burn it.It's a two story home built in 1915.So once I heard this I thought I'd better look it over better & make sure there was nothing I thought was cool or could be used before it got the match thrown to it.Well below is what I came away with (besides $2400 scap metal) :wink: . 2009-2 1/2 ton heat & air all in one unit as a back up for one of mine seems how our home takes two one for up stairs & one down. :wink: Explain the old barrel, it has been in the attic since the home was built cause the hole to the attic was to small to get it back through. :D Also spent a few minutes one afternoon Mding around in the yard which needs to be gone over better(these finds were the coins,woodmen of the world token in bad shape,ring 14K looks early,etc). The bottles came from under the house one is cool as it's a straight sided coke from the early 1900's.
Here's the left overs....
Some sites on the lights the one english fixture looks alot like the biggest one I have....but not quite so I'm not sure yet what it might be worth.But what ever it is worth is more then it would have been burnt for sure.
http://randalltysinger.com/antiques/98
http://www.harrishouseart.com/CEILING FIXTURES.htm

Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,094
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 1,100
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 1,093
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,090
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,103
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,094
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,095
  • IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,100
  • IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 1,099
  • IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 1,095
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,095
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 1,093
Upvote 0
OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
more...

Attachments

• IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,070
  • IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 1,080
  • IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,079
  • IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,081
  • IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 1,152
  • IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 1,155
  • IMG_0022.JPG
    IMG_0022.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,154
  • IMG_0021.JPG
    IMG_0021.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,149
  • IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,153
  • IMG_0019.JPG
    IMG_0019.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,151
  • IMG_0018.JPG
    IMG_0018.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,080
  • IMG_0017.JPG
    IMG_0017.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,080

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
What nice family treasures you saved there. What a shame to burn the place. Isn't there any salvage value in the wood, etc? I'll bet it has pine roof sheathing on it .. I know I would love to have a load or two of that! Here is some of the furniture in my house that I built from roof sheathing from a house of that same vintage. The nail holes with the tar paper highlights really gives the wood beautiful rustic, old look!

Attachments

• furn2.jpg
    furn2.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,073
  • furn3.jpg
    furn3.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 1,073
  • furn4.jpg
    furn4.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 1,074
  • furn5.jpg
    furn5.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,090
  • furn6.jpg
    furn6.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 1,075
  • furn7.jpg
    furn7.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,168
  • furn1.jpg
    furn1.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 1,019

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creskol said:
What nice family treasures you saved there. What a shame to burn the place. Isn't there any salvage value in the wood, etc? I'll bet it has pine roof sheathing on it .. I know I would love to have a load or two of that! Here is some of the furniture in my house that I built from roof sheathing from a house of that same vintage. The nail holes with the tar paper highlights really gives the wood beautiful rustic, old look!
Wow :icon_thumleft: That is some nice work, love the dry sink and pie safe.

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creskol said:
Nice :thumbsup: Yes lots of old molding & such in it & I'm not talking junk like today stuff.Hurricane Iren got the bottom half 19 inches of water.It would be a major job lots of money to save.As it has/had all the old wiring, pipes,& lap board siding,no insulation in the walls etc.
I will be taken some out though doors,knobs,& have some ideas of my own for some of the wood.
Take Care,

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Timekiller said:
creskol said:
Nice :thumbsup: Yes lots of old molding & such in it & I'm not talking junk like today stuff.Hurricane Iren got the bottom half 19 inches of water.It would be a major job lots of money to save.As it has/had all the old wiring, pipes,& lap board siding,no insulation in the walls etc.
I will be taken some out though doors,knobs,& have some ideas of my own for some of the wood.
Take Care,

Very cool Pete! Best of luck with your project(s). That carving set is just about as neat as they come, and I really like the opener assortment as well. You really saved some wonderful stuff!

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice saves, sorry to here about your g pa, take care and happy hunting

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
You're smart to take the house parts. There is a good solid market for that type of work and if they are untouched original, all the better. Shame about your grandfather. I bet he would know some history on that gold ring. Either way, dig all those signals in the yard, get all the door hardware (and if the doors themselves are clean and clear get them too, especially if they are hard wood), and cherish the memories of the furniture you were given. Using them can sure bring back memories. I know, I have some of both my grandfathers and they are priceless.

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about your loss TK. Your foresight is incredibly smart. That heat/air unit alone is an amazing save. And the scrap $ s. Everything you are doing proir to the burn down is ALL correct. Everything you are doing is recycling at its best. Kudos to you for being SO SMART. Good for you buddy. Im sure your Grandpa is looking down and smiling. God bless.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great saves Pete.I am glad you got some of that stuff!!

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pete,
I'm sorry to hear about your Grandpa. Good job on saving those treasures; I'm glad you decided to go back over the house. While reading your first post, I was thinking, I'd get the doors/knobs too, then I saw where you said you were going back to get those. :thumbsup: Hopefully you'll have time to MD the yard thoroughly, and find some more goodies.

Creskol, WOW on the furniture you built! OUTSTANDING!

Breezie

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
how sad to burn it down. and sorry for the loss of your grand father.so many nice old items you salvaged already!keep cleaning house! :thumbsup:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ya saved a lot of tiques , collectibles , and heirlooms :) Outstanding

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if its not gone yet -- check inside the walls !! folk esp during the bootleg era and 1933 turn in your gold coins era hid and walled up items in secert stash spots --since its going to be burnt down who cares about holes in the walls , look im old heater ducts and along base boards for old silver coins that got "lost" as well as on the top of door sills -- check all old dresser draw bottoms -- old folks often taped a envelope of money under them -- root around throughly

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice stuff man.

Love all the antique furniture

HH Jer

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the words & look.It will be sad to see it go but life is that way you do & deal with watch you can.I've got lot's of memories of this place as I was purdy much raised here by my grand parents at a early age.Mom & Dad couldn't make it work out so they split when I was 9yrs old.My grand parents stepped in & took over on my raising.The home was built by my grandmas dad in 1915.He raised her & another daughter there.Then came my grandad which they had five kids of there own that was bought up in this home.Then me & years of reunions were held here (large family).So hundreds in the yard over the years(more Mding needed).Anyway I'll be 40yrs old in a few months & looking back at some pics. from this old home is a joy.Just to remember things and how they were when I was younger & the times in this place.The home might be a lost but the memories live on. :wink:
Take Care All,

Attachments

• IMG_0001_1.JPG
    IMG_0001_1.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 689
  • IMG_0002_1.JPG
    IMG_0002_1.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 683

crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, pro pointer, F-point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about your loss.
Salvage everything. Nice save on the lights, they are certainly worth saving. :icon_thumleft: You might try contacting an architectural salvage about trim work and doors or anything else you might not want. while reading your story I couldn't help but think about a house in Ohio I read about where somebody hid $150,000 in a wall in the 20's and it was fount 80 years later while remodeling, so maybe try running your detector inside or knocking a few holes in the walls. Also old 2x4s make great firewood and lath boards are great kindling.
I hate to see old houses get torn down or burned but it happens. I lived in a small town in Kansas for about 10 years and over that time watched numerous houses get torn down. My own house was one of the oldest if not THE oldest in the town the first addition on it was datable to 1872, the year the town was founded, so the original 2 room house predated the town. Wish I'd had a detector back then.
While I lived there the city counsel was waging war on the old Victorian fixers and many repairable houses became empty lots. I bought the house next door to me for $600 just to keep it from getting torn down. It was the house of the towns first doctor and was once a nice old Victorian. It was haunted and creepy but I used it for storage for many years. I had hoped to fix it back up but sadly there was never enough time or money. :-\ I did manage to find a pristine entry door that had been sealed up inside a wall for nearly 100 years, it was in like new condition and worth nearly what I paid for the whole house. I also salvaged the beautiful 6 inch one piece solid walnut banister and all the matching parts to go with it as well as some really nice trim work. I looked at it on Google earth the other day and saw that someone finally did tear it down rather than fix it up.
Creskol is right about salvaging wood, In the house I lived in in Kansas I found old walnut boards in a wall that were 10 feet long and 18 inches wide and perfect for furniture. In the early days of the town walnut was very prevalent. When I had my house re-roofed we found the sheathing was also 130 year old walnut. The roofers were cussing me all day long because that old walnut was like iron and when they hit it with a nail gun it would turn the nails and spit them right back, so they spent a lot of time dodging their own nails. :laughing7:
So salvage everything even if you don't have a use for it maybe someone does and detect everywhere. and cherish the memories.
Cranky

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread