But different of IDing something. Please help!

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I was detecting and found this slave cemetery (find these often around here). There's one thing different about this one though. There's a professional and marked headstone. Saddle the owners hit it with a plow. So here's my questions-
1- What name do you think is on it
2- What time frame? (These are usually 1800s in this area but a closer time frame would be great)
Thanks for y'all's help. Oh and P.S. I DID NOT DETECT IN THE CEMETERY

image-3439263187.jpg

image-1120887474.jpg

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
Cant help with the date and I cant read the name.
But I know I would detect there.
I would not be offended If someone dug a 6 or 12" deep hole above my grave.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cant help with the date and I cant read the name. But I know I would detect there. I would not be offended If someone dug a 6 or 12" deep hole above my grave.

Haha. I have been searching for an old housesite on the 100+ acres lol. I found a mushroomed minié ball and some old bottles fragments from the natural spring there. The minié ball and a ring are the only non trash finds from there.

Upvote 0

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there was a home site on the property I would expect it to be in close proximity of the spring.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it is. Before the the new property owners moved to the location the neighbor said he moved the rock foundations by hand. When I asked where the housesite was located he said "on the flat spot on the hill on the right". Well there's many entrances and many many hills with flat spots hahahaha. Lots of ground to cover. I'll be going back for maybe the 10th time soon and this time I'm bringing a map to show the neighbor and see if he can point us in a direction. The spring is sadly now coved up by brush and debris that the new owners were dumping. I bet there's some good relics and possibly coins there :(

Upvote 0

Talondale

Sep 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say that the name is Z. Curt....... given the positioning and the font size I would figure three or four more letters on the last name. One way you can get a better idea of the existing letters is to do a rubbing. You place a piece of paper on the stone and then rub with a piece of art charcoal, crayon or a carpenter pencil. It will create a more recognizable impression on the paper. A lot of people collect rubbings of medieval and ancient tombstones and carvings. Here's a tutorial on doing a rubbing using a special wax.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok I'm gonna take this a bit further. Would the local library have death records? This is in a different county than I am and I know my library has a huge room just for local history and records. I wonder if I could find it....... If anybody else has tips in the you site or how old this marker is I'd love to know thanks everybody!

Upvote 0

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the library for old plat maps for that county. A lot of the older ones show the house locations along with the land owners name. I'm currently using an 1873 plat map of my county to map out this coming springs metal detector hunts.

Maybe there is an Historical Society for that county. Most of the counties around me have one and are glad to help with research.

Look for depressions or odd/different looking outlines in the terrain that might have been a road or a lane leading to the house site.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check the library for old plat maps for that county. A lot of the older ones show the house locations along with the land owners name. I'm currently using an 1873 plat map of my county to map out this coming springs metal detector hunts. Maybe there is an Historical Society for that county. Most of the counties around me have one and are glad to help with research. Look for depressions or odd/different looking outlines in the terrain that might have been a road or a lane leading to the house site.
thank you! I will have to look. It's a huge pasture for cows now. You know what that means lol. Everything is unnatural now thanks to the new "soil" lol

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok I'm gonna take this a bit further. Would the local library have death records? This is in a different county than I am and I know my library has a huge room just for local history and records. I wonder if I could find it....... If anybody else has tips in the you site or how old this marker is I'd love to know thanks everybody!

I don't know what county you're in, but alot of the upstate counties have census, geneology, death, birth, military and other records and websites. I have found tons of info there. All you need is a library card. I mostly use greenville county libraries. Tony

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know what county you're in, but alot of the upstate counties have census, geneology, death, birth, military and other records and websites. I have found tons of info there. All you need is a library card. I mostly use greenville county libraries. Tony

This is in Cherokee. I'm usually in Spartanburg. Thanks

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread