✅ SOLVED Button & Badge ID ?

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found what looks to be some type of Military button, and another badge from the same general area I found the Colorado Licensed Driver badge.The button has an eagle and shield, and the badge has a Bear at the top with the #99, and Los Angeles 1909. At the bottom there is a deer with BP on the left side , and OE on the right. Can anyone ID these items? Thanks! button.jpg

rlt9999

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2013
Freedom, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found what looks to be some type of Military button, and another badge from the same general area I found the Colorado Licensed Driver badge.The button has an eagle and shield, and the badge has a Bear at the top with the #99, and Los Angeles 1909. At the bottom there is a deer with BP on the left side , and OE on the right. Can anyone ID these items? Thanks! View attachment 769198

The badge on the right side of your picture is obviously an Elks Club badge, BPOE Elks. I'm not sure about the bear on the top of it as I haven't seen one with a bear before. Try doing a web search for BPOE badges and see if you can find a similar image.

Best regards,
Bob

EDIT: just found and old Feebay listing with one of these... the bear is the state symbol of California. Dohhhh! :laughing7:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your button looks to be a General Service from after the civil war to 1901 when the new "Great Seal" button was introduced. Is there a back on it?

Upvote 0

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
solved...g1 rlt !The bear is a california state insignia

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your button is a US Army Enlisted-man's (non-officer) "general service" button. "General service" means it was issued to all the service branches (cavalry, infantry, artillery, etc) except the Engineers branch. The specific version you found was issued from 1875 to 1902.

Edit: Fyrffytr1 and I were typing our replies at the same time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
CoinHunterAZ

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! Thanks for the ID guys. I'm really happy about the button! And yes, there is a back to it, and a loop. What would the value be on something like this?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

StoneyRun

Mar 10, 2013
S.W. Missouri
Detector(s) used
old faithful Radio Shack
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe some kind of hunting tag, the stag head has been a symbol for the North American Hunting Club (I think that is what it is called). The bear is from the state flag of CA. i am wondering what is suspended from he bottom loop.

Cheri

Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your button is a US Army Enlisted-man's (non-officer) "general service" button. "General service" means it was issued to all the service branches (cavalry, infantry, artillery, etc) except the Engineers branch. The specific version you found was issued from 1875 to 1902.

Edit: Fyrffytr1 and I were typing our replies at the same time.
Yeah, but mine was an educated guess and yours was an educated answer!:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! Thanks for the ID guys. I'm really happy about the button! And yes, there is a back to it, and a loop. What would the value be on something like this?

Can you make out the backmark? And, can you post a picture of the back? These buttons have relatively little value but I still enjoy finding them.

Upvote 0

rlt9999

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2013
Freedom, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just did a little more research on the badge... there is a Wikipedia page regarding the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks now known as the BPOE Elks Club that has a list of all of the national conventions dating back to 1890. From there I found that in 1909 the convention was held in Los Angeles, CA. So it appears that the badge you found is from that convention.

I also found a page that shows a picture of a complete badge that is for sale, here is the link:
BPOE ELKS PINS ANTIQUE 1909 LOS ANGELES, CA LODGE #99

Too bad you didn't find the rest of it as it appears to be gold in the picture. Nice find though!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions