Button, brooch? Any help please

James Andrew

Aug 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, i'm new to the forum so please excuse me if I make any mistakes.
I have acquired this interesting object. It is 52mm across and weighs 55 grams. It has yellow metal showing through, as shown on some of the photographs, and four centre pins.
I would be most grateful for any information regarding it.

Many thanks
James

IMAG2236.jpg IMAG2238.jpg IMAG2240.jpg IMAG2244.jpg

Sentrom

Oct 18, 2012
Near Chicago
Detector(s) used
Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incense.jpg

Ok, I got out my bell-bottom pants, my tied dyed shirt, my sandals and I will light the “cone incense”

because of the small legs and its size, I think its the brass bottom of an incense burner.

Upvote 0

SkaBa

Jul 26, 2014
CenTex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certainly has the look of the bottom of an incense burner. Does it have any smell or residue build up in the concave area?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

James Andrew

Aug 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certainly has the look of the bottom of an incense burner. Does it have any smell or residue build up in the concave area?

No smell I can detect. No specific residue. Would they bother with putting a pattern on the objects base? Any idea of possible age?
Thanks
James

Upvote 0

SkaBa

Jul 26, 2014
CenTex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would they bother with putting a pattern on the objects base? Any idea of possible age?

This looks to me like a brass item made in India. I once had an incense burner as a kid that only had decorations on the bottom around the legs (circular patterns) and in the bowl where the incense was burned. Even then I wondered who came up with the decoration scheme that no one could see when it was in use.

No idea of age or IF in fact it is incense related. Just a possibility first noticed by Sentrom.

Upvote 0

Sentrom

Oct 18, 2012
Near Chicago
Detector(s) used
Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The place that is was dug from, assuming it was dug. Does it lead you to believe it could be older then 50 years?

Customer appeal to make the item sell would drive the manufacture to add decoration to the base.

Upvote 0
G

gman17

Looks to me like a bridle rosette or some other kind of rosette used for decoration.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

James Andrew

Aug 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The place that is was dug from, assuming it was dug. Does it lead you to believe it could be older then 50 years?

Customer appeal to make the item sell would drive the manufacture to add decoration to the base.

It was dug by a family member, I would be amazed if it is less than 50 years old, the area has been open land for around a century, previously there were settlements there dating back many generations.

Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the second picture it looks like the pins are sticking up in the bowl as well as being on the other side. It also looks like two attachment points at the 6 and 12 O'clock positions. Maybe a hanging incense burner?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread