Hello All,
I am new to Treasurenet and have heard that this is the place to ask for help in identifying artifacts. That's what I need ... help.
I have attached two pictures of the button, front and back. The condition is good. I'm not sure what kind of metal it's made of. While there is no obvious writing on either side, the pattern details are quite clear with textured concentric circles encircling a raised center with a concave central point on the front. Surrounding this raised area, within the innermost circle, are 30 dots with 28 points extending from them. I believe that the button was stamped and the shank was added to it. My guess is that it is a civilian button as I would not expect to see a button like this in the military. This was found on a property with a house built in the early/mid 1700s.
My knowledge of buttons is extremely limited. Any guidance you could offer me would be very much appreciated.
Thanks much.
Huzzah20
I am new to Treasurenet and have heard that this is the place to ask for help in identifying artifacts. That's what I need ... help.
I have attached two pictures of the button, front and back. The condition is good. I'm not sure what kind of metal it's made of. While there is no obvious writing on either side, the pattern details are quite clear with textured concentric circles encircling a raised center with a concave central point on the front. Surrounding this raised area, within the innermost circle, are 30 dots with 28 points extending from them. I believe that the button was stamped and the shank was added to it. My guess is that it is a civilian button as I would not expect to see a button like this in the military. This was found on a property with a house built in the early/mid 1700s.
My knowledge of buttons is extremely limited. Any guidance you could offer me would be very much appreciated.
Thanks much.
Huzzah20
Your guess is correct, your button was manufactured for use on Civilian clothing. Specifically, it is one of the many varieties which button-collectors call a "Fashion" button, due to the ornate design. Its basic body-form is called a 1-piece button. (The loop/shank on the back is not counted as a "piece"). Your 1-piece button was made from die-stamped sheetbrass, and that kind of button usually dates from about 1800 to the 1830s ...though it may be a bit earlier or later. Actually, that type of 1-piece button is still being manufactured -- but the shape of your buttons loop and the way it is attached indicate it is indeed an early-1800s specimen.






