What's new

Button Help?

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2009
Messages
1,360
Reaction score
420
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello, the object in the top two photographs was found today. It looks like it reads "States" along the bottom but I'm not sure. I was wondering if it was a button or piece to a suspender. The next two photo's is a button I purchased today at an antique store. It has a little bit of weight to it and is solid. It had a note that it was excavated. Was getting input if the button was real or not. I didn't sink that much money into it and wasn't much of a gamble. Thanks and happy hunting.
 

Attachments

  • TF.webp
    TF.webp
    12.1 KB · Views: 167
  • TF1.webp
    TF1.webp
    13 KB · Views: 165
  • A.webp
    A.webp
    13.2 KB · Views: 171
  • Aback.webp
    Aback.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 149
The item marked "States" appears to be an overalls or suspenders rivet-stud, for attaching a strap.

There is no exact match in either the Albert or Tice books on American Military buttons for your 2-piece ironbacked "A" button, so I must conclude that it is a 20th-century Reproduction.

Getting more specific about no "exact" match... notice the extreme skinny-ness all the parts of the A on your button. Usually on CS artillery buttons, the right-side leg of the A is double or triple the width of the left-side leg. The only near-match for the precise shape of your button's A is a "lined-A" CS Artillery button -- but there isn't even the slightest trace of lines inside the letter on your button.
 
Upvote 0
TheCannonballGuy said:
The item marked "States" appears to be an overalls or suspenders rivet-stud, for attaching a strap.

There is no exact match in either the Albert or Tice books on American Military buttons for your 2-piece ironbacked "A" button, so I must conclude that it is a 20th-century Reproduction.

Getting more specific about no "exact" match... notice the extreme skinny-ness all the parts of the A on your button. Usually on CS artillery buttons, the right-side leg of the A is double or triple the width of the left-side leg. The only near-match for the precise shape of your button's A is a "lined-A" CS Artillery button -- but there isn't even the slightest trace of lines inside the letter on your button.

Thanks for your help. I guess I should stick to my gut feeling next time.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom