Button help

Lygore

Nov 7, 2012
Anyone able to ID this? I'd like to know any info you can offer on it. Maker, value, rarity, etc. tried searching online and only found this

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=4968&cat=260

Very vague...

image-1851458770.jpg

image-3743053674.jpg

I already put it in the what is it forum but I thought ya'll might be able to ID it. :-)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know but I did see 1 reference with a fox on the face. Black Foxe Military Institute in Los Angeles. This fox is different, yours may be a civiliar blazer button.

TRice

Nov 19, 2012
Southside VA
Detector(s) used
1266xb, T2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know in the US, particularly VA, in the early 1800's buttons like these were worn on fox hunters coats. The type where groups would get together and dress alike and chase foxes with their hounds and horses. I don't recognize the backmark, but it does look old.

OP
OP
Lygore

Lygore

Nov 7, 2012
The thing I don't understand is that I found this in Hawaii. There have never been foxes here.... Maybe a mongoose hunt? Lol :-D

TRice

Nov 19, 2012
Southside VA
Detector(s) used
1266xb, T2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Plenty of English Fox hunters may have graced the HI shores? Maybe Bly traded them to the HI king for bread fruit plants. I just looked at two similar buttons in a Civil War Relic book and they were called sporting buttons. What does the backmark say?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lygore

Lygore

Nov 7, 2012
It says "* Sporting * Designs" that's all. It is possible about the English trading. I do know king Kamehameha really liked everything having to do with the English.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread