civil war buttons

hillbillyhunter

Dec 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P1021444.JPG

Hello

I need some help in identifying some buttons that i have. They supposedly came from the Mannassas Area of Virginia

OP
OP
H

hillbillyhunter

Dec 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one appears to have two horses facing one another with an eagle on top. P1021413.JPG

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings! The heavy one is probably made of lead, it is generic. The two with lyres are musicians buttons, probably 20th century. The flower butter is also most likely 20th century. I'll try to look up the others. It looks like the one with two horses is a Pennsylvania State seal button. Is there a backmark?

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hillbillyhunter

Dec 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
three with eagles one looks like it has been hit with something P1021431.JPG

OP
OP
H

hillbillyhunter

Dec 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey thanks in the first picture, you cant tell but there is a carved scene in the middle of the button of a log cabin with what appears to be a bridge over water. It looks pretty cool.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "silver" button is the oldest, Revolutionary War period to 1830 or so. By then most buttons had backmarks on them. The smallest of the 3 eagles butons is a US Marine Corps button, late 19th century to much more modern and the two larger buttons are called US Army "Great Seal" buttons. That style was adopted in 1902.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "ok sorry one more" button is NOW officially the oldest. Two piece hollow brass with dual gas venting holes in the back. Use from the French and Indian war thru the Revolution. Not really seen much after the Rev War.

OP
OP
H

hillbillyhunter

Dec 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "ok sorry one more" button is NOW officially the oldest. Two piece hollow brass with dual gas venting holes in the back. Use from the French and Indian war thru the Revolution. Not really seen much after the Rev War.

That is too cool. I love this stuff....

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you dig? Wait till you find your first marked Rev War military button!

OP
OP
H

hillbillyhunter

Dec 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes sir I do but I dont have the opportunity to find stuff like this. These were in a box that I got from someone in upper Virginia. There are prob 75 old buttons in there. The lady said that she thought they came from around Mannassas. I live in East Tennessee and theres some hot spots to dig but I am just a starter with a starter detector. I have found some bullets and grape shot here locally and some chains callled "chase" chains I think that went on the carriage of the cannons but that is it. I love it though. I just like the Historical aspect of it too. What woudl you say a monetary value woudl be for the oldest buttons i have?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread