What's new

Button ID

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2010
Messages
7,742
Reaction score
12,707
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother found this button a few years back in Maryland. We think it is pewter. Can anyone give me an idea of what it might be?
 

Attachments

  • MFB button.webp
    MFB button.webp
    101.3 KB · Views: 290
  • MFB back.webp
    MFB back.webp
    14.1 KB · Views: 278
It has a resemblance to Revolutionary War cast pewter buttons. Someone with button books will be along to help. I believe I saw a Maryland button with MB on it. I have a feeling this may be something good. :dontknow:
 

Attachments

  • Revolutionary War button back.webp
    Revolutionary War button back.webp
    35.4 KB · Views: 261
Upvote 0
To me it looks like lead, and I do have a couple early seals that do have a similar looking back as a button. I'll take a look later to see if any are complete. (Some Rev War buttons were lead so that's not quite enough to rule it out)

As for being a button, I wouldn't rule anything out yet, however.... It is not a match for any Rev War Maryland buttons in my book, and the style doesn't really fit either. Basically all shown have the Regt. number and the only possibility I see for the one above would be something like Maryland Battalion Company F, but that would be missing the unit name so I think a long shot. I will admit at first glance my ears perked up seeing that, but it's not really adding up for me. That being said, ask someone who can tell you for sure! He might not be able to ID it, but at min. will be able to discount it being an early Maryland button. Here's his info., and the answer you receive will probably short and to the point, but should be correct.


Email me direct.
Don Troiani
Chainshot@aol.com


http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,285924.0.html
 
Upvote 0
It does look like a rev war period button but I've never seen one like it and like Iron Patch couldn't find one in the books. IP is righ that Mr Troiani is the man to ask.
Let us know what he says
 
Upvote 0
Now thats going to turn out to be a RARE one!

Definately late 18th century. It looks like that crazy mix which is hard to ID, pewter/Lead but more leady than the other!
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Now thats going to turn out to be a RARE one!

Definately late 18th century. It looks like that crazy mix which is hard to ID, pewter/Lead but more leady than the other!


If it's a button, and is Rev War period, and can be Id'ed, I'd say there's a good chance you're right. I think this one probably falls into the category of all or nothing.
 
Upvote 0
I just e-mailed Mr. Troiani. I will let you know what he has to say. Thanks for the help.
 
Upvote 0
fyrffytr1 said:
I just e-mailed Mr. Troiani. I will let you know what he has to say. Thanks for the help.


Cool. you should have an answer fairly quick. Seems like he is pretty close to a computer most days.
 
Upvote 0
It is a button! But, it is not an MFB one. It is MEB. "Maryland Extraordinary Battalion". It was part of the Maryland second regiment. One more was found in Morristown. I am assuming Mr. Troiani meant New Jersey, but he didn't say.
Anyway, he requested a high resolution picture to use in his revised button book.
Thanks to all for the help. Now that I know what you can do there are some more objects that need IDing.
 
Upvote 0
fyrffytr1 said:
It is a button! But, it is not an MFB one. It is MEB. "Maryland Extraordinary Battalion". It was part of the Maryland second regiment. One more was found in Morristown. I am assuming Mr. Troiani meant New Jersey, but he didn't say.
Anyway, he requested a high resolution picture to use in his revised button book.
Thanks to all for the help. Now that I know what you can do there are some more objects that need IDing.


Now that sounds like great news! :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
fyrffytr1 said:
It is a button! But, it is not an MFB one. It is MEB. "Maryland Extraordinary Battalion". It was part of the Maryland second regiment. One more was found in Morristown.
Only the $econd ever found? Sound$ great if you can get it authenticated. Would be cool to see a pic of the other one.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
fyrffytr1 said:
It is a button! But, it is not an MFB one. It is MEB. "Maryland Extraordinary Battalion". It was part of the Maryland second regiment. One more was found in Morristown.
Only the $econd ever found? Sound$ great if you can get it authenticated. Would be cool to see a pic of the other one.


It just was authenicated and this is BY FAR the best case scenario! Too bad it wasn't CW, could probably go car shopping tomorrow. ;D
 
Upvote 0
:thumbsup: FANTASTIC! Congrats on a great find! Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Just a little more info from Mr. Troiani.
The M E B was formed in 1780. They spent a brief amount of time in Morristown getting outfitted.
If I find anything else I will let you know.
 
Upvote 0
fyrffytr1 said:
It is a button! But, it is not an MFB one. It is MEB. "Maryland Extraordinary Battalion". It was part of the Maryland second regiment. One more was found in Morristown. I am assuming Mr. Troiani meant New Jersey, but he didn't say.
Anyway, he requested a high resolution picture to use in his revised button book.
Thanks to all for the help. Now that I know what you can do there are some more objects that need IDing.

I was going to suggest Maryland for the M but could think of anything for the FB, still even if I saw the E I would still not have guessed. I knew it was RARE :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
:hello:

Sounds like you have made a very important find :o congratulations, and well done to IP, for putting you on the right track :icon_thumleft:
Looking forward to the updating :headbang:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
:hello:

Sounds like you have made a very important find :o congratulations, and well done to IP, for putting you on the right track :icon_thumleft:
Looking forward to the updating :headbang:

SS


I'm thinking 20% commission? ;D
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom