11.5 KB · Views: 324
  • windmill button.jpg
    windmill button.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 317

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
someguypeter said:
I found this button at an old site but I am not sure if it is that old or not. It looks like a peakock and a rabbit to me on the back it says ledsam and sons london.any thoughts are appreciated. HH

I found a couple of buttons made by them online. One civil war button here:
http://www.civilwarbuttons.com/infantry.htm
And one unknown, (no picture) here:
http://www.goldenagebuttons.co.uk/lists/Livery.htm

If you want to learn more about the company, here are a couple of pdf files:
www.terry.uga.edu/~selgin/documents/Ramble.pdf
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&ct=re...GyrlirOTsKhkz-9c=&sig2=KeKRcVYdYFli1I1D9MvFLQ
(Personally I hate pdf files and don't have the bandwidth on dialup to bother downloading most.)

I think you would have to search specific button collectors websites for more on that button if nobody else on here can help. Nice button though. Too bad about the damage.

F.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Thanks for adding the information about the backmark after I posted. That definitely helps with the date range. My guess would be c. 1820's-30's; they were listed as manufacturers of "gilt & metal buttons" from 1805 through 1833.

Thomas Ledsam & Sons, a British firm with operations in both Birmingham and London, was in business at least as early as 1797. The button presumably dates no later than around 1850, when Ledsam & Sons was bought out by Piggot & Co.

Thomas Ledsam was also listed as a gun maker in 1785, and his son Joseph was listed as a maker of watch chains and toys in 1797.

DebbieG

Oct 2, 2023
someguypeter,
Whatever happened with your button? And did you do any more research on the Ledsam family? My husband's brother just found a Ledsam button, same shape but with a different design on it.
Thanks,
Debbie

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
someguypeter,
Whatever happened with your button? And did you do any more research on the Ledsam family? My husband's brother just found a Ledsam button, same shape but with a different design on it.
Thanks,
Debbie

Thomas Ledsam & Sons of 10 Great Charles Street, Birmingham also had premises in Cateaton Street, London (now Gresham Street). They were listed under that name as manufacturers of gilt and metal buttons between 1805 and 1833 but Ledsam’s period of operation stretches from c.1797 to 1850 when they were bought out by Pigott & Co. who advertised themselves as “Successor to Thos. Ledsam & Sons”.

Ledsam 1830.jpg

Pigott 1862.jpg

They made civilian buttons of various kinds, including the 'sporting button' originally posted and military buttons too. Those claimed to be "American Civil War" might well have still been in use during the Civil War period, but weren't manufactured with the "Ledsam & Sons" backmark beyond 1851.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread