What's new

button identification

buckeyehunter

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2005
Messages
380
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Lancaster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
e-trac
I found this button at a house last week and this afternoon I thought I would research it a little, on the back it says Rich Treble GIlt, I looked through a few websites on buttons and didnt find anything so I googled it, several websites came up and they were all Confederate Civil war buttons, Is this one a confederate button also or whoever made this one did they make others for civilians? It was found at a old farm house in Ohio.
 

Attachments

  • DSC07972.webp
    DSC07972.webp
    78.2 KB · Views: 670
  • DSC07973.webp
    DSC07973.webp
    53.9 KB · Views: 342
Rich Treble Gilt is what's called a quality mark and refers to the button's finish. One-piece, often plain-faced, gilt brass civilian buttons of this sort actually predate the Civil War, although they are found at camps and battle sites, as are the familiar Golden Age fancy gilt "flower" buttons of the 1830's-50's. Buttons like this one are still earlier but can be difficult to date precisely. I'd guess c. 1815-30.
 
Upvote 0
Nice button Mike and great id PBK. Looks like there's someting else on the bottom between rich and gilt. Can you read it?

Randy
 
Upvote 0
RPG said:
Nice button Mike and great id PBK. Looks like there's someting else on the bottom between rich and gilt. Can you read it?

Randy

To me it looks like " * o * "
 
Upvote 0
Montana Jim said:
RPG said:
Nice button Mike and great id PBK. Looks like there's someting else on the bottom between rich and gilt. Can you read it?

Randy

To me it looks like " * o * "

I see the two stars but looks like two digits between the stars.
 
Upvote 0
Mike,

If you feel this is solved,

Go back to your original post,

Click on Modify,

Click on Message icon down arrow,

Click on Solved,

The Green Check will appear.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Replies
12
Views
1K
Replies
15
Views
1K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom