Button identification

whites m6

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, first post here so hoping I'm in the right spot. I have been digging a spot that was a War of 1812 depot and later (1830-50) a home site. At this point I have found around 60 buttons, some are military from the depot and most are probably later. My question is what is the best guide for identifying button back marks? Thanks, Terry

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several books around. Bruce and Bazelon have one good book in print. Getting expensive though. Put up a pic or two and we can date them. Or come close.

OP
OP
W

whites m6

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several books around. Bruce and Bazelon have one good book in print. Getting expensive though. Put up a pic or two and we can date them. Or come close.
DSCF2270.JPG DSCF2271.JPG DSCF2276.JPG The grouping of four buttons have some that are a little easier to read. The single button I just found. Any ideas? Thanks.

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to TNet! I'm sure someone will ID them! Lots of knowledgeable people here!

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, welcome to the forums.
The L.S. & Sperry stands for Leavenworth, Spencer and Sperry and dates 1835-1839. The Leavenworth & Kendrick dates from 1829-c1834. The other two buttons are generic quality backmarks and date to the same time period. Are they plain front or designed?
There are a few really good books but as long as this site is up and running you will find answers to most all of your relic related questions.

OP
OP
W

whites m6

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, welcome to the forums.
The L.S. & Sperry stands for Leavenworth, Spencer and Sperry and dates 1835-1839. The Leavenworth & Kendrick dates from 1829-c1834. The other two buttons are generic quality backmarks and date to the same time period. Are they plain front or designed?
There are a few really good books but as long as this site is up and running you will find answers to most all of your relic related questions.

DSCF2281.JPG Thanks for the Welcome and information! Here's a photo of the opposite side of the two gilded buttons. The only button with an actual design is the L.S. & Sperry. This kind of fits in with my thoughts on age of the site. I'm hunting in the black swamp area of NW Ohio and very few people were here before the 1830 time period. I know whatever was on this site was gone by 1874. I found six buttons relating to the war of 1812 depot that was also on this site. Thanks again!

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't make out the backmark on your two piece button. I think it is a civilian fashion button. If you can clean the back enough to read the letters it would help us ID it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread