✅ SOLVED Button or Pin? How old?

tj.cama

Jan 2, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Found this the other day and am unsure if its a button or a pin and have no clue how old it may be.

It has a circumference of 1.5 inches

photo.JPG

Last edited:

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just based on the size I would guess it is a bridle rosette. Any indication of attachment points for the loop on the back?

DCMatt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tj.cama

Jan 2, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Primary Interest:
DCMatt-- i looked that up on google and i do believe that it possibly can be a bridle rosette. although there are no attachment points on the reverse of it.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is it brass? Is the edge folded over on the back or is that a separate piece that encircles the outer edge? Breezie

Upvote 0

Archeodeb

Nov 3, 2012
SW Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite often, what it is depends on its size... which you didn't bother to mention.

I realize you're new here, so I'll point you to what you didn't bother to read. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/136849-please-read-before-posting-items-what.html

The OP said 1.5 inches in circumference -- maybe you should "bother" to read the post before posting. It seems rather rude to just say that constantly, no matter how irritating it may be when some people actually do not include measurements. You are a long-time and (deservedly) respected member here, but merely being a new person does not mean "green" or stupid. Please be respectful. It costs so little.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Archeodeb, the Original Poster did not originally include the object's size in the first post. Please note that it got edited 7 minutes after my reply (77 minutes after the Original post was made). You've jumped to an incorrect conclusion... which caused you to make a false accusation. Using your own words, my reply to you is that "maybe you should "bother" to read the post before posting" ...including noticing the presence of an Edit notification, and the timestamp on it.

You also said "Please be respectful. It costs so little." But the evidence clearly shows that it is the un-compliant posters who are being disrespectful to the ID-helpers in this forum, all of whom are unpaid for their labors.

Your posting-name indicates you are an Archeologist, or at least have some training/education in that area. Wouldn't you agree that getting a reliably-correct ID for an unknown artifact is a service which has Value? When something of Value is given to you for free, it's rude to disrespect the giver... right?

Surely you don't think that doing Research to correctly ID a mystery-object is not an expenditure of a person's time-&-labor.

For very good reasons, the "Please Read Before Posting in the What-Is-It forum" message is located at the very top of this forum, permanently. It cannot fail to be noticed there. People who come here expecting to receive a valuable service for free but ignore the blatantly obvious "Please Read Before Posting" message are being rude and disrespectful to all the unpaid ID-helpers here.

It's like when a neighbor knocks on your door and asks you to drive them across town to their friend's house. You comply with their request for help, burning your gas and your time to help them. But when you eventually get there, nobody is home. You learn to always tell the help-requester to telephone their friend before you get in the car, to prevent wasting your time-&-effort.

You may be thinking I'm making a big deal over nothing. But take a look at how many times various ID-helpers here have had to ask a help-requester to provide accurate size measurement of the unknown object. When I publicly tell a poster to read the "Please Read Before Posting" message, I'm not just doing that for my own sake, I do it for the sake of all the other ID-helpers here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DCMatt-- i looked that up on google and i do believe that it possibly can be a bridle rosette. although there are no attachment points on the reverse of it.

Do you not mean Diameter of 1.5 inches??
With a circumference of 1.5 inches it would be a rather small Bridle Rosette, correct ?

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Archeodeb, the Original Poster did not originally include the object's size in the first post. Please note that it got edited 7 minutes after my reply (77 minutes after the Original post was made). You've jumped to an incorrect conclusion... which caused you to make a false accusation. Using your own words, my reply to you is that "maybe you should "bother" to read the post before posting" ...including noticing the presence of an Edit notification, and the timestamp on it.

You also said "Please be respectful. It costs so little." But the evidence clearly shows that it is the un-compliant posters who are being disrespectful to the ID-helpers in this forum, all of whom are unpaid for their labors.

Your posting-name indicates you are an Archeologist, or at least have some training/education in that area. Wouldn't you agree that getting a reliably-correct ID for an unknown artifact is a service which has Value? When something of Value is given to you for free, it's rude to disrespect the giver... right?

Surely you don't think that doing Research to correctly ID a mystery-object is not an expenditure of a person's time-&-labor.

For very good reasons, the "Please Read Before Posting in the What-Is-It forum" message is located at the very top of this forum, permanently. It cannot fail to be noticed there. People who come here expecting to receive a valuable service for free but ignore the blatantly obvious "Please Read Before Posting" message are being rude and disrespectful to all the unpaid ID-helpers here.

It's like when a neighbor knocks on your door and asks you to drive them across town to their friend's house. You comply with their request for help, burning your gas and your time to help them. But when you eventually get there, nobody is home. You learn to always tell the help-requester to telephone their friend before you get in the car, to prevent wasting your time-&-effort.

You may be thinking I'm making a big deal over nothing. But take a look at how many times various ID-helpers here have had to ask a help-requester to provide accurate size measurement of the unknown object. When I publicly tell a poster to read the "Please Read Before Posting" message, I'm not just doing that for my own sake, I do it for the sake of all the other ID-helpers here.

Well said, and I agree! :) Breezie

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clearly a newcomers mistake , not to read everything in there eagerness to post here. A better explanation of how to post would have looked better. We all choose to offer our ID's for free, it's quite easy not to reply, and it's a simple matter just to ask, and then to welcome the new poster.

Welcome to TreasureNet TJ :thumbsup: Your item could be possibly some type of Brooch, is there anywere on the back, were a pin might have been.

SS

Upvote 0

Archeodeb

Nov 3, 2012
SW Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did miss the "edit" line near the bottom -- though in fairness that would have told me only that the post was edited, not that it was edited to include measurement information. (Or is there some other line I have missed reading?) However, everything else I said still stands. It may be irritating to constantly remind people to read the rules, but considering that it is not always the SAME person violating them, and that in most instances where I have read the same sort of response you gave to this new member, that poster was also new (and likely had not posted before), it seems rather harsh to jump on him/her without at least a friendly warning first. Something along the lines of...

"I realize you are new here so I would like to point out that our rules require that you give us certain standard information about the piece in order to facilitate identification. Please read "how to post' (or whatever the title is) before starting a new thread. Welcome to Treasure Net, I hope you enjoy the forum!"

Save the indignation for repeat offenders. Would that be so difficult?

As for the research work to identify... I assume you are doing this because you want to and do not have a gun to your head? I certainly would not lift a finger to ID something for someone being blatantly demanding and obnoxious, but I also know I enjoy finding these things for people who ask for genuine help. So far, I have found most of the folks here are polite and grateful for the information. I fail to see the problem with that system.

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see this thread is marked solved :dontknow:has anybody posted a exact match, or is it a guess solved :icon_scratch:

SS

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tj.cama

Jan 2, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Primary Interest:
I see this thread is marked solved :dontknow:has anybody posted a exact match, or is it a guess solved :icon_scratch:

SS

Nobody has posted exactly what it is, but after reading the posts i have concluded that it most likely is a bridle rosette.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread