BUTTON OR PLUG?

mburnsgps

Jan 14, 2017
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Invenio Pro, Whites V3i, Nokta Simplex, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this at a colonial era site. Not sure what it is. At first, I thought it was a button. But I’ve searched for sink plug, bottle stopper and button but didn’t find anything. I’ve also searched the 1700s, 1800s and 1900s but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated, even something to search for.

It appears to be two different metals. The bottom is smooth and black, the top is crusty , possibly iron or a copper alloy.The black part is also beveled.

Thanks

Mike

thumbnail_IMG_20190302_182409.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20190302_182422.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20190302_182705.jpg

ekeisler

Apr 6, 2013
That is a very old button. Early 1700s I believe. I’ve found one similar and it had a design on the front. It’s hard to believe with it being so heavy but yes it is a button. Nice find!

Upvote 0

ekeisler

Apr 6, 2013
For reference I’ve included 2 buttons I’ve found from an early site that look similar to the one you’ve posted. I wish I had pictures of the front but I can take some when I’m home tomorrow.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1551576783.798886.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mburnsgps

Jan 14, 2017
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Invenio Pro, Whites V3i, Nokta Simplex, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very old button. Early 1700s I believe. I’ve found one similar and it had a design on the front. It’s hard to believe with it being so heavy but yes it is a button. Nice find!

Thanks, that makes me very excited. Can you post a pic of yours? Did you ever find a name or type for it?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mburnsgps

Jan 14, 2017
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For reference I’ve included 2 buttons I’ve found from an early site that look similar to the one you’ve posted. I wish I had pictures of the front but I can take some when I’m home tomorrow.

View attachment 1686384

Thanks. I would be very interested in seeing the front. Do you know what type of button it is?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mburnsgps

Jan 14, 2017
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I would be very interested in seeing the front. Do you know what type of button it is?

The object I have is 0.45 ounces and 12.8 grams.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mburnsgps

Jan 14, 2017
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great ID and awesome find

Thanks. I appreciate it. I'm just trying to firm up the ID. Eventually I am going to do a presentation on this to the local historical society so I am looking for as much background info as I can get.

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I appreciate it. I'm just trying to firm up the ID. Eventually I am going to do a presentation on this to the local historical society so I am looking for as much background info as I can get.

Good on you for doing a presentation! Putting some context with the button will help bring it to life and make it more interesting to the audience,

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mburnsgps

Jan 14, 2017
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good on you for doing a presentation! Putting some context with the button will help bring it to life and make it more interesting to the audience,

Thanks, you can see a video of my last project presentation if you search for "metal detecting finds at historical Paulsdale New Jersey".

Upvote 0

mbcuce

Jan 6, 2019
SC Lowcountry
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like it could be a small drawer pull. Seems too thick for a button.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mburnsgps

Jan 14, 2017
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, you can see a video of my last project presentation if you search for "metal detecting finds at historical Paulsdale New Jersey".

Thanks. That is something I can search for.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mburnsgps

Jan 14, 2017
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks. That gives me something else to search for.

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, I'm not in the button camp.

Some of these actually went on a horse harness.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread