Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1551575183.621279.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1551575251.194503.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1551575356.239476.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1551575420.681611.jpg
Did I finally find an 1800’s slug? I’ve found round balls and modern slugs but nothing with rings, it’s not a miné ball (sp)? But hopefully it’s from around the same time

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking old because I found a pair of round balls .52 and .55 and a double sided awl in the same general area yesterday and I found a trade metal point in the same spot a few weeks back.
I’ve found pre civil war artifacts then there’s a gap until about 1880, I was hoping I’d finally found something from that missing time frame
But I was hoping someone could tell me the age

Upvote 0

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
After a search of TreasureNet CannonBallGuy says it best here in a post back in Feburary 2018.

Just trying to be helpful here. No offense intended, but... in regard to a bullet, the word cannelure simply means groove. Various pre-civil-war bullets had body grooves. The first bullets whose body groove was "reeded" (also called "knurled") appeared in 1877.

So your bullet "could" be from the 1880's or so forward.

Good find... keep searching.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you’re worried about me I’m not offended at all That’s the info I was looking for. I’ve learned a lot from this site and it’s a great resource. looks like for now I’m still missing items from that 1850-1870 range.

I don’t hunt anything but my own little part of se Kansas and I’d love to find a miné ball or any other civil war era artifacts I know by location my odds aren’t good but I didn’t think I’d find a trade era site or a Buffalo either so I’ll keep looking
Thanks guys

Upvote 0

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
The "just trying to be helpfulhere. no offense intended... " is all part of CBG's post. I just used copy and paste.

I know what you mean about missing parts of history of sites.
In my town we can find dumps from 1850's and then 1880's on... no 60's or 70's....
What did they do with their trash???

Good luck it's there somewhere

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah I missed that, I don’t know about your towns history but that period in my area was when Indians were transitioning out and whites were moving in I wonder if it has something to do with that... you would still think there were people making trash and hunting and dropping things

Upvote 0

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Native Americans were still in the area (California) but were mostly "Transitioned" out... in my area.

Upvote 0

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Red James...
When I liked your post it wasn't that I liked the history of the statement.
Just the awareness of it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread