What's new

Button spot gives up silver and copper yahoooooooooo

TnT2000

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2006
Messages
474
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Easton PA
Hey all, I am sure you have seen the posts lately by myself and MarkG, we now call it the button spot and for good reason..Today I got 9 new buttons making it a total of 21 in 3 short hunts MarkG got 9 his first time there. A couple of the new buttons are the size of a Large Cent, Speaking of Large Cent....It gave me another beauty today an 1802 in better shape than the 1801 from last week...and I was digging buttons throwing them into my pouch when I got home and began cleaning them I could not believe my eyes one was a 1853 silver 3 cent...My second for the year...Yes I was doing the happy dance... It has some black stains on it, does anyone know how to get it off I would value the advice.. Thanks for reading and looking...H.H. TnT..

md12 006.webp

The haul... Look at the size of some of the buttons, got some buckles etc.

md12 010.webp

3 cent

md12 014.webp

3 cent

md12 016.webp

Isn't she a beauty

md12 018.webp

perfect.....
 
Upvote 0
Totally awesome finds! That is really something to find two in one year! WTG!....Those other relics are just great also!
 
Those are some awesome finds! Buttons and Coins - it don't get much better.
 
Dude, you are killin me! Second Draped Bust Large Cent in a couple weeks - and in awesome shape! Ah, might as well throw in a 3 cent piece. ;D ;D

Cleaning silver.... If mine is really got the "ugly" tarnish look I use a light silver polish like Wright's silver Cream(Walmart). You can do it in coats so you can control how much tarnish you remove. That way you can still retain some of the original look. I have also used the Mother's Mag polish but this polish will give it a very shiney finish so you can tell it has been cleaned.

Bob
 
Nice finds,

I love those early large cents. You got a nice site to hunt there. Those 3 centers are tough to come by also.

HH Jer
 
I've had good success boiling a blackened silver coin in water with baking soda added (advice from other forums). It takes very little time for it to be removed, and leaves no noticable scratches/stains. However, the coin will not have a single dark spot on it - making it look very cleaned. Coin dealers use tricks to fix this - electralysis of an old copper coin TO the silver (making it darker all over). Then lightly rub off the highlights with leather. This all sounds difficult, so practice on something else first if you even consider it.
 
That is an Excellent site you have there.....Plenty of early coins and Buttons.......Great Job!

I also have a nice method to remove that black on Silver as well as cleaning Sterling silver.....

You will need:

Borax
Table Salt
Glass bowl
Plastic Spoon
Aluminum foil

First you need to line the bowl with a piece of foil, make sure you have it pressed in the bowl good.....next Boil some water not much ...But enough to pour in the bowl ( about an Inch or so) after you have the boiling water in the bowl , take (1 ) table spoon of Borax...Pour it in the bowl and the same for the Table salt...( 1) table spoon...when both are in the bowl , just mix the solution nice and easy not to spill the solution...When you see it dissolved ....Put the silver coin on the plastic spoon and lower it in the solution for a few minutes....then remove it and very slightly rub the coin. I use a very fine brush but you can also use your fingers and just rub it slightly. Repeat as needed. I some times have to put the coin in a few times and have let some coins soak as long as 10 minutes......!!!

Below is a Barber dime that I cleaned ...you can see the difference!

hope this helps!!

The Seeker
 

Attachments

  • Finds 1-04-05 H-Creek 002 Medium Web view.webp
    Finds 1-04-05 H-Creek 002 Medium Web view.webp
    15.8 KB · Views: 1,493
  • Finds 1-04-05 H-Creek 002 Medium Web view.webp
    Finds 1-04-05 H-Creek 002 Medium Web view.webp
    15.8 KB · Views: 1,499
  • Finds 1-04-05 H-Creek 004 Large Web view.webp
    Finds 1-04-05 H-Creek 004 Large Web view.webp
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,491
Very Very nice :) :) :)
 
Some great finds there. Gotta love those early american coins.That large disc on the right,is that a button?
 
mountainman 2 said:
Some great finds there. Gotta love those early american coins.That large disc on the right,is that a button?

Yes it is, I am told it is early to mid 1800s....

Thanks for all the replies on cleaning...TnT...
 
Wow...I didn't realize that those 3 cents were so tiny...again, nice find!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom