Button without a back right?

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what kind of button do you call this? And what time period is it from? It’s probably an easy ID for someone. But this is only my second button I’ve ever dug. I’m sure during my incubation period I’ll have some pretty easy things to ID. But I promise I only need you guys to do it once. I have been blown away by the knowledge on here. Both collectively as a group, and individual expertise.
Thanks guys and gals.

D30D7570-6259-41D5-9A56-BB145D87C9DE.jpeg

nkellam22

Feb 9, 2019
Western Europe
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Top of a 2 piece button, the back has rusted away. Given the style, I would say around the turn of the century.
Nice!

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Downeast_Detecting wrote:
> What kind of button do you call this? And what time period is it from? It’s probably an easy ID for someone. But this is only my second button I’ve ever dug. I’m sure during my incubation period I’ll have some pretty easy things to ID.

As you know, groups of people who collect a certain type of object tend to develop a "distinctive terminology" or lingo to describe or categorize varieties of those objects. Collectors of Antique Buttons call the type you found a "Fashion" button. As that type's name implies, it was used in the High Fashion clothing industry, because having an "ornate" emblem and being made of metal with either actual gold plating or a "golden finish" makes an otherwise-ordinary coat (or jacket, etc.) look worthy of an expensive price. Such as, High Fashion clothing.

Fashion buttons usually, but not always, have a thin sheet-iron or steel back (sometimes with a false "golden" plating). I should mention, another category of buttons, called Career Uniform buttons (like hotel staff and railroad workers, with the Company logo or initials) often-but-not-always have an iron/steel back. Therefore, dug ones often have a rusted-out back, like yours. Thus, a rusted-out back is usually a major clue that a button is a Fashion button. I say "usually" because a (very) few versions of wartime-manufactured Confederate Military buttons had an iron back.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WVExplorer

Jul 9, 2014
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Garret Carrot, Recently retired Bounty Hunter Quicksilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off it’s still a nice button, even missing the back.

Going off what CBG said, which is good information, was there any academy’s, schools maybe even major shipping or docks in your area in the early 1900s? To me the button almost looks nautical. Maybe even light house keeper? Assuming you found this in Maine (which is the state on your profile).

I looked for a while but couldn’t find anything matching your button design, closest were some Victorian designs.

If you can think of anything respond back. Good luck.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DownEast_Detecting

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said a wealth of information. Thanks for the info cannonball!! This is from a 3 property piece. This is from the far right one. On the far left one I found a tiny floral button. Which someone identified as off a woman high fashion shoe(prob cannonball guy). So it’s keeping with the fashion theme I guess.

First off it’s still a nice button, even missing the back.
Going off what CBG said, which is good information, was there any academy’s, schools maybe even major shipping or docks in your area in the early 1900s? To me the button almost looks nautical. Maybe even light house keeper? Assuming you found this in Maine (which is the state on your profile).

I looked for a while but couldn’t find anything matching your button design, closest were some Victorian designs.

If you can think of anything respond back. Good luck.

So yes, yes and yes. Let me see if I can explain it. Where I live is very close to the water. English landed in salt Marsh cove in the 1600’s which is less than a mile from me. They were after white pines for sailing ships masts. They would mark the giant pines with a broad head arrow carving. With that it was the kings property. Hence there name of king pines. England was in desperate need of the trees at the time. So shortly after they landed in the cove they cut down ever pine around. They Made up plots close to the shore and settled the area. With every new wave of settlers. The property plots got further and further from the shore. The three adjacent properties I’m hunting are close enough to the water for the first or second round.

8E46914A-6AA0-4355-9964-7D9CF27BA063.jpeg

I live on the middle property. Completely cleared of tress, all field, modern house. Separated by stone walls. There is a property to the left and right. Both are heavily wooded now. But were fields for farming. Both have old foundations. There are 2 on the left property. One of the houses I could still see in the aerial shot in 1953. gone in 1956. The one foundation on the property to the right. I think is much older. This is where I found this button, the locket, old spoon. I’m hoping once I have a good chunk of stuff. It will be easier to date the site.

The Local highschool is the fourth oldest secondary school that is still open in the state. Opened there doors in 1805. Closer to these properties than where it is today. But still only 5 min away.
So major docks in the area for sure.
Brick factories, canning factories, grist mills, match factories, micca mines, felspar mines, quite a lot of activity in this area. And pretty much from day one when us white men arrived.

I know that was a lot. But just really trying to give you guys all the info I know. Thanks again

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread