What's new

Button?

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2009
Messages
1,360
Reaction score
420
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Also found this today. This was a " What is it" day for me. It appeares it may have been a button but I dont know. It does not have a shank. Very detailed for being so small. Just smaller than a dime. The center is hollow. Pictures does not do it justice. Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • BB.webp
    BB.webp
    13.3 KB · Views: 197
  • BB1.webp
    BB1.webp
    8.1 KB · Views: 179
  • BB2.webp
    BB2.webp
    9.8 KB · Views: 196
Yes, a button and old I think :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
shaun7 said:
Yes, a button and old I think :icon_thumleft:

Thanks shaun7, I will leave it as unsolved a little longer before I mark it solved just to see if anyone else may be able to identify it any further. Thanks
 
Upvote 0
Most likely a "ball button":

http://www.greybirdrelics.com/Buttons.htm (scroll down to "1700-1860's Misc. Buttons" for a picture of one)

Patent of 1888 for a metallic one (though they were known earlier):

http://www.buttoncountry.com/1888_Ball Buttons.htm

There were also ball button rings (probably ball button earrings, too):

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/marie-antoinette-antique-french-metal-button-by-koenigottokars

Sometimes people mistake these as a "Zouave" ball button; however, as far as I know, a Zouave button is plain (no pattern):

http://www.relicman.com/buttons/zArchiveButtonFedGovZouave.htm

Yours has a floral pattern on it; it might be best to get a book of vintage/antique button collecting?
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom