What's new

Button

kuger

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2007
Messages
9,732
Reaction score
2,803
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend asked me to find out what I could on this button,but I am not real good with buttons,especially foreighn ones!All I could come up with is it resembles the Royal Grenadiers,but I dont know??
 

Attachments

  • button.webp
    button.webp
    25.1 KB · Views: 228
  • back.webp
    back.webp
    23.9 KB · Views: 219
I dont know British buttons either. Can you read the bacjmark? FIRMIN? LONDON?
 
Upvote 0
You know Big Cy,I read it,and forgot what it said! :-\Moron!The crucial button I.D tip,and I blew it!!I will see it again soon.I was hoping somebody would know it just from the front
 
Upvote 0
Kuger wrote:
> The crucial button I.D tip,and I blew it!!

Actually, the backmark doesn't give you a button's ID ...just the button's country-of-origin and the manufacturer's time-period.

The "crucial button I.D. tip" for your button is the motto on the ribbon. I realize the letters are kinda tiny, but if possible please tell us the motto, as precisely as possible.
 
Upvote 0
TheCannonballGuy said:
Kuger wrote:
> The crucial button I.D tip,and I blew it!!

Actually, the backmark doesn't give you a button's ID ...just the button's country-of-origin and the manufacturer's time-period.

The "crucial button I.D. tip" for your button is the motto on the ribbon. I realize the letters are kinda tiny, but if possible please tell us the motto, as precisely as possible.

Very good point Guy,I am not so concerned with the date,as I know its fairly early.
As for the letters,I tried with head mount jewlers loupe,my loupe,they are ineligible :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Okay. Too bad. Thanks for trying. I suggested it because I've had very good success at ID-ing buttons which have a motto by Google-searching for the exact wording of motto. That's a tip for the forum's folks to keep in mind, because it works for ID-ing things besides buttons.
 
Upvote 0
Kenosha Kid said:
Looks like Royal (Main?) (?) Company

OK, the writing on the ribbon states "Royal Mail Steam Packet Company", similar to this and made by more than one button company back then :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/23mm-K-C-Roya...573693389&po=&ps=63&clkid=7135516352003510438

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OLD-ROYAL-MAIL-STEAM-PACKET-CO-BUTTON-/120683291242

edit: this one is yours, manufactured by Firmin of London :

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...=14&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com (scroll down on the page)
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
Kenosha,you da man!!!You just did the impossible!!!Thank you!
 
Upvote 0
kuger said:
Kenosha,you da man!!!You just did the impossible!!!Thank you!

No problem. Here's a link, for your friend, to the Royal Mail Steam Packet Company history. While it doesn't date the button, it shows that a Pacific coast route ran from 1921-1968. Nice piece of history with that button !

http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/lines/royalmail.html
 
Upvote 0
Thats a great ID Kenosha Kid. Its best to post the image so we can look back thru these old threads. They serve as a great future research tool and database of finds, possibly one of the best. The eBay links will eventually be deleted and who knows about the others.

So Im posting the button image here. Great research Kenosha Kid! :icon_thumright:
 

Attachments

  • button Royal mail steam packet.webp
    button Royal mail steam packet.webp
    36.2 KB · Views: 149
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Thats a great ID Kenosha Kid. Its best to post the image so we can look back thru these old threads. They serve as a great future research tool and database of finds, possibly one of the best. The eBay links will eventually be deleted and who knows about the others.

So Im posting the button image here. Great research Kenosha Kid! :icon_thumright:

Sound advice, never thought about the links eventually becoming broken/deleted.
 

Attachments

  • Royal Mail Steam Packet Co. (Firmin version).webp
    Royal Mail Steam Packet Co. (Firmin version).webp
    19.8 KB · Views: 137
  • Royal Mail Steam Packet Co. (Firmin version).webp
    Royal Mail Steam Packet Co. (Firmin version).webp
    19.8 KB · Views: 142
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Replies
12
Views
1K
Replies
15
Views
1K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom