What's new

Buttons

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2006
Messages
10,425
Reaction score
2,724
Golden Thread
1
Location
UK
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: all...

after seeing Mr Magoo's post of the George Washington Button :o I'd thought I would post a few of my favourite buttons that I have found.

I never have taken much interest in the buttons, you find that many here, but I have noticed the great interest you guys have for them, I have really no idea which type they are.

Some are Military, some Dress buttons(Silver Cover) a couple of livery? any way have a look see what ya think :thumbsup:

SS.
 

Attachments

  • buttons 008.webp
    buttons 008.webp
    102.6 KB · Views: 258
  • buttons 001.webp
    buttons 001.webp
    73.9 KB · Views: 253
  • buttons 002.webp
    buttons 002.webp
    88.6 KB · Views: 253
  • buttons 003.webp
    buttons 003.webp
    56.5 KB · Views: 249
  • buttons 004.webp
    buttons 004.webp
    59.2 KB · Views: 251
  • buttons 005.webp
    buttons 005.webp
    32.3 KB · Views: 254
  • buttons 006.webp
    buttons 006.webp
    37.7 KB · Views: 248
  • buttons 007.webp
    buttons 007.webp
    74.6 KB · Views: 258
Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers, Ordinance...quite a nice collection there! I like the large button with the single flower on it--it looks homemade. The silver plated ones with the boquet on them are quite fine. Did you find them at the same site? I think the one that looks like a Roman coin (last photo) is a Victorian item, but the ones above it look much earlier.

Beautiful stuff. I am less familiar with the other buttons posted, but I feel certain that Crusader can help with some of their ID's. Yes, I love to find buttons. Some of the military buttons that are common on your side of the pond are hard to find here, and more valuable if found in the U.S.


:icon_sunny:


-Buckles
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers, Ordinance...quite a nice collection there! I like the large button with the single flower on it--it looks homemade. The silver plated ones with the boquet on them are quite fine. Did you find them at the same site? I think the one that looks like a Roman coin (last photo) is a Victorian item, but the ones above it look much earlier.

Beautiful stuff. I am less familiar with the other buttons posted, but I feel certain that Crusader can help with some of their ID's. Yes, I love to find buttons. Some of the military buttons that are common on your side of the pond are hard to find here, and more valuable if found in the U.S.


:icon_sunny:


-Buckles
Thanks BB..

found on different sites, only have another thousand or so to sort now :D the last picture top right button I think is medieval, the coin button you mentioned was found on a Roman site :dontknow: probably Victorian as you say :thumbsup: just found one similar on UKFD, depicting Septimus Severus :thumbsup:

SS.
 

Attachments

  • coin button.webp
    coin button.webp
    8.4 KB · Views: 224
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
BuckleBoy said:
Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers, Ordinance...quite a nice collection there! I like the large button with the single flower on it--it looks homemade. The silver plated ones with the boquet on them are quite fine. Did you find them at the same site? I think the one that looks like a Roman coin (last photo) is a Victorian item, but the ones above it look much earlier.

Beautiful stuff. I am less familiar with the other buttons posted, but I feel certain that Crusader can help with some of their ID's. Yes, I love to find buttons. Some of the military buttons that are common on your side of the pond are hard to find here, and more valuable if found in the U.S.


:icon_sunny:


-Buckles
Thanks BB..

found on different sites, only have another thousand or so to sort now :D the last picture top right button I think is medieval, the coin button you mentioned was found on a Roman site :dontknow: probably Victorian as you say :thumbsup: just found one similar on UKFD, depicting Septimus Severus :thumbsup:

SS.

Sounds like a project for the "off" season. :D I am always rearranging my buttons to make more space. They fill up and overflow everything I store them in. On closer inspection, I'm sure you'll find some pleasant surprises in your collection. Just the few you already posted, anyone would be thrilled to have in their collection.


Regards,


BB
 
Upvote 0
Good Gawd SS 1,000? Yes, some of us have the obsession with buttons such as myself. You have some that make me envious! Some day, I will get to your neck of the woods and dig a couple....and have a cup of tea with ya...Cheers
 
Upvote 0
Wow, nice stuff! Glad you posted 'em.
 
Upvote 0
I have one of those roman coin imitation buttons but mines Nero. I think they are really cool, I thought they might be slightly early than Victorian :-\
 
Upvote 0
the 2 buttons above the roman type one in the last picture are both 17th century :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Love the buttons SS. I have found that they are indeed my passion. Coins come out of many sites and usually well recorded, but buttons haven't seen the popularity they enjoy. So being one for more adventurous fare, I have found my love. I have hunted in England years back and hope to again someday. As Mike from 4-H said, maybe we could have a spot of tea sometime. Great pics of your stuff! :headbang:
 
Upvote 0
I would kill for those. >:D :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
I have one of those roman coin imitation buttons but mines Nero. I think they are really cool, I thought they might be slightly early than Victorian :-\

They well may be. I have seen them classified as Victorian before, but Greek revival architecture was earlier....the 1830s were its heyday here in the U.S.


:)
 
Upvote 0
Could the two silver buttons with the flowers be from old coins? Great collection there, I'm envious.
Carl
 
Upvote 0
Awesome buttons :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: Thanks for posting :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
Could the two silver buttons with the flowers be from old coins? Great collection there, I'm envious.
Carl
Don't think so Carl :P they are to piece buttons, the Silver is just a thin layer :thumbsup:

SS.
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
CRUSADER said:
I have one of those roman coin imitation buttons but mines Nero. I think they are really cool, I thought they might be slightly early than Victorian :-\

They well may be. I have seen them classified as Victorian before, but Greek revival architecture was earlier....the 1830s were its heyday here in the U.S.


:)
I'm thinking that the one I posted is in fact not a Roman depiction, more Greek like :P what do you think BB :icon_scratch:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
BuckleBoy said:
CRUSADER said:
I have one of those roman coin imitation buttons but mines Nero. I think they are really cool, I thought they might be slightly early than Victorian :-\

They well may be. I have seen them classified as Victorian before, but Greek revival architecture was earlier....the 1830s were its heyday here in the U.S.


:)
I'm thinking that the one I posted is in fact not a Roman depiction, more Greek like :P what do you think BB :icon_scratch:

SS

SS,

I'm still going with Roman--mainly because of the inscription beside the bust of the head on the coin. Greek coins are fairly light on inscriptions, more iconic, more depictions of animals, etc.


Regards,



Buckles
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
Silver Searcher said:
BuckleBoy said:
CRUSADER said:
I have one of those roman coin imitation buttons but mines Nero. I think they are really cool, I thought they might be slightly early than Victorian :-\

They well may be. I have seen them classified as Victorian before, but Greek revival architecture was earlier....the 1830s were its heyday here in the U.S.


:)
I'm thinking that the one I posted is in fact not a Roman depiction, more Greek like :P what do you think BB :icon_scratch:

SS

SS,

I'm still going with Roman--mainly because of the inscription beside the bust of the head on the coin. Greek coins are fairly light on inscriptions, more iconic, more depictions of animals, etc.


Regards,



Buckles
You can read that :o

Lend me your eyes :D

SS.
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
You can read that :o

Lend me your eyes :D

SS.

I can't read the inscription, but I was referring to the fact that an inscription was there in the first place. The vast majority of Greek coins that I have seen and examined do not have an inscription on the portrait side. :dontknow:


BB
 
Upvote 0
Mr. Magoo said:
Love the buttons SS. I have found that they are indeed my passion. Coins come out of many sites and usually well recorded, but buttons haven't seen the popularity they enjoy. So being one for more adventurous fare, I have found my love. I have hunted in England years back and hope to again someday. As Mike from 4-H said, maybe we could have a spot of tea sometime. Great pics of your stuff! :headbang:
I'll bring the tea :coffee2: you bring the cakes :laughing9:

SS.
 
Upvote 0
I forgot to say.

I never had an interest in buttons until I detected for several years & now I consider it a challenge to find new types to add to the vast trays I have (printing block drawers) :laughing7: I will go as far as saying, I'm pretty fond of them. I like early Militia & Livery types :)

PS. Your Royal Engineers is Victorian, don't get many of them
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom