What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED I have 2 items im trying to get more info on.

Dr Plugs

Full Member
Joined
May 30, 2023
Messages
162
Reaction score
1,310
Golden Thread
0
Hi all, I posted some items in the today's finds section the other eve. The one item I would like to figure out what it is.

This item was found at a mid 1700s stone house back yard, along with a 1808 half cent, brittish copper coin and a capped bust american copper coin.

It is solid silver with initials, I put a dime above it to give an idea on size. It is thick, im guessing it was expensive to have made back then. We were thinking somekind of personalized saddle adornment but not sure. I also have an early military button, found at the same site, not sure of the timeframe this style was used any help on either item would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
 

Attachments

  • 20260227_184003.webp
    20260227_184003.webp
    476.9 KB · Views: 181
  • 20260227_184012.webp
    20260227_184012.webp
    451.5 KB · Views: 151
  • 20260227_191426.webp
    20260227_191426.webp
    728.9 KB · Views: 151
Initialized item-
With the loop on the back it looks like a bolo tie or neckerchief slide.
Could you clean the back and post another picture?
There may be a makers mark on there somewhere.
 
Upvote 0
What is the diameter of the button, and please post a pic of the back
Thanks for looking, I didnt have a super accurate way of measuring the button. I used a tape, comeing in I little bigger that 3/4 of an inch. I'm guessing 21-22mm.

There seems to be somekind of design on the back, appears to be the same markings the whole way around the back but the crud is stuck very good and I didn't want to go scraping the back too much. Here's the pics of the back side and shank, thanks.
 

Attachments

  • 20260301_142336.webp
    20260301_142336.webp
    826.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 20260301_142348.webp
    20260301_142348.webp
    627.3 KB · Views: 83
Upvote 0
Look through tice and alberts. Closest I can get is Albert’s GI 56. Militia button. The one in the book has a Lewis & tomes extra plated backmark. 23mm. Says there were also gilt examples. Guessing 1800-1830
 
Upvote 0
Hi all, I posted some items in the today's finds section the other eve. The one item I would like to figure out what it is.

This item was found at a mid 1700s stone house back yard, along with a 1808 half cent, brittish copper coin and a capped bust american copper coin.

It is solid silver with initials, I put a dime above it to give an idea on size. It is thick, im guessing it was expensive to have made back then. We were thinking somekind of personalized saddle adornment but not sure. I also have an early military button, found at the same site, not sure of the timeframe this style was used any help on either item would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
DId anyone think cufflink on the silver find?
 
Upvote 0
I'll go with it being a Cufflink also.
20201213_174030.webp
 
Upvote 0
DId anyone think cufflink on the silver find?
I dont believe it is a cufflink, I layed a dime above it to show size. It weighs 1/2 once also. Would be a very big cufflink. Thanks for the guesses though,it is appreciated.
 
Upvote 0
I dont believe it is a cufflink, I layed a dime above it to show size. It weighs 1/2 once also. Would be a very big cufflink. Thanks for the guesses though,it is appreciated.

Maybe a coat stud or whatever it's called. That holds the tux jacket closed instead of standard buttons, or possibly part of a tie tack or tie bar.

Example of the tux closure thing I'm talking about on my Mess Jacket, installed and by itself.


20260303_173806.webp

20260303_173530.webp
 
Upvote 0
I am not a "button guy"...
but i believe what you have found is a war of 1812 era button.
Just a shot from the hip.
Hope it helps.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I dont believe it is a cufflink, I layed a dime above it to show size. It weighs 1/2 once also. Would be a very big cufflink. Thanks for the guesses though,it is appreciated.
How wide is the attachment on back?
Is it folded over? Out on a limb, but maybe a real fancy personalized bridal rossette?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom