Buy foreign coins from the bank?

changedman

Greenie
Jul 6, 2010
I like all kinds of coins, even the foreign ones. Since I find Canadian pennies in my penny boxes from time to time, I'm sure banks collect foreign coins from all their coin stock all the time. I thought about telling my bank that I would buy all the foreign coins they acquire, but I'm not sure what to offer them (some could be interesting, even silver). I've heard of one coin dealer buying foreign coins from Brinks by the pound, but you can't really do that at a bank (no scale).
Has anyone tried this? If not, any ideas on how to make an offer to banks?
Thanks!

Upvote 0

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just ask what they do with the foreign coins, start a conversation with a teller about it. Let them know that you are interested and see if you can work something out.
Technically all the foreign coins that they find in the coin reject tray are free to them since the machine never really paid for them. When people leave foreign coins in the reject tray it's up to them to grab them. I'm sure they check it, and do something with those coins. Who know, that's a good idea though. I might ask my banks what they do with them.

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
I asked at my regular coin bank last year, and was given a Crown Royal bag and a box about the same size (each about equal to a $25 box of cents), full of foreign coins, tokens, damaged and stuck together U.S. coins. They would throw the foreigns away after awhile and the damaged they said weren't worth sending in.

I remember getting, an Indianhead, a Merc, a war nickel, and alot of steel cents. Close to $20 in Canadian coins. I soaked the glued together coins overnight in vinegar and got almost all of them cleaned up enough to return to circulation.

Pudsbrat

Aug 21, 2004
Mena Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,Garrett ProPointer....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get foreign coins from the cash office of the Wal-Mart that I work at....they sell them to me at face value....I kind of think of it as donating to CMN or something....they normally throw them away so I get some foreign money and they get a little extra money....I have a huge collection of Canadian coinage that I would like to sell, redeem for American or something if anyone knows if I can go somewhere here in the US and exchange it for US money????thanks

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just gotta ask, I guess. I did that at one bank that had really friendly tellers, and they sold me about a gallon for $10. It was well worth it....I remember many steelies, a 1912V with a mm, a '61 Roosie, 50 bucks Canadian, and about $80 Am.

Kantuck

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
ive thought about doing it, but assumed they would say no...guess i should try tho, since other banks are doing it! keep it up and hh!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread