Greenie
Jan 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21 - 8" Coil - Tesoro Outlaw - 5", 8" & 10" Coils - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with 8" Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer & Garmin Oregon 450 GPS.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Detectors are excellent machines, made in the USA and come with a Lifetime Warranty. I am not 100% positive but I believe the Warranty follows the machine. You may want to check that out! The Cortes is a great machine for coins, jewelery and even relic hunting. It operates at 10khz which works well for that type of hunting. Depending on condition (Condition is Everything) $400 seems like a fair price for a Cortes.

If you wanted to go with a new machine, I highly recommend the Tesoro Outlaw which operates at 10.6khz and is a very deep hunting machine. They can be had in the $425 range and you definitely get the Lifetime Warranty with a new machine. I just purchased a new Tesoro Outlaw about a month ago.

usausnvet

Greenie
Jan 30, 2013
I have an opportunity to buy a Cortes for $400. I am new to metal detectors but have read several times that I should purchase a higher end MD. I would use it mainly for beach, park and maybe a little relic hunting. If not the Cortes, then some suggestions for a different MD would be great. Thanks!
Yes

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like JohnnyFlake said condition is everything. But if it is in good condition it is most definitely a good price.

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Cortes is a good machine, but it is getting a little long in the tooth. For a little more $ you many want to take a look at the Minelab 705/ Whites MX5/ Garrett's AT Pro. I have no experience with these, but the reviews have been favorable.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For some reason the Cortes has a bad rep. I have one, and it isn't a bad detector, however, hope you have eyes like a hawk to see the screen. Lightweight and easy to use. I purchased mine, less than a year old, used only a couple of times with extra 5 inch coil and extra stem, and screen protector for $425. IMHO, you should try to beat him down to $350 or $375 if it more than a couple of years old.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a good deal to me..
( if the machine is in good shape) as they "retail" for around 715.00+

While I don't know the Cortes
This time last year I purchased a Tejon (used) for the same 400.00 & am very happy with the machine.
I've found relics/ coins the I missed with my XLT ( for whatever the reason, ie, ground changes , luck better depth)
Also I never Custom Program-d my xlt just ran it in the factory Relic Mode.
I'm still learning the Tejon (sounds) IMO its def, more sensitive to smaller brass .gold / items in general.

I know your asking bout the Cortes -not Tejon But i'm assuming with sim, retail prices they "MIGHT" compare.

Maybe you could still shop around But $400 sounds cool to me , Esp, if it's cash / no shipping and if you get some extras thrown in. [ head phones] shovel etc,
Davers p.s The Warranty Is only for the original Owner..

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an opportunity to buy a Cortes for $400. I am new to metal detectors but have read several times that I should purchase a higher end MD. I would use it mainly for beach, park and maybe a little relic hunting. If not the Cortes, then some suggestions for a different MD would be great. Thanks!

I would not do it. While the Cortes is a good machine it is a complicated machine, and not a good starter. It has problems in highly mineralized soils and tends to get "chatty" or give lots of mixed signals in extremely trashy areas. My opinion is you would be better served buying a new Vaquero, or an Outlaw as your first Tesoro. Whatever you decide, Tesoro will be there with customer service and tech support.

Good Luck - Terry

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not do it. While the Cortes is a good machine it is a complicated machine, and not a good starter. It has problems in highly mineralized soils and tends to get "chatty" or give lots of mixed signals in extremely trashy areas. My opinion is you would be better served buying a new Vaquero, or an Outlaw as your first Tesoro. Whatever you decide, Tesoro will be there with customer service and tech support.

Good Luck - Terry

Yeah I was thinking a new Vaquero or Outlaw might be a better option i, if he's wanting a Tesoro Mfg, Machine.
& that way he will get the Lifetime Warranty .
Davers

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have one and haven't found it all that complicated, but then I had a fair bit of experience with several different detectors before I got it. I like mine a lot for coin shooting parks, fair grounds etc. and the ground where I hunt is mild so not having ground balance in the disc mode isn't an issue (for me). However, I do highly recommend that any one that is going to own just one detector get one with either manual ground balance or true auto ground tracking so that you'll be covered when hunting difficult ground.
luvsdux

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy it, if in good condition. I've had a Cortez for 4yrs. I love it. Never used it on a beach though? True, the screen is small, yet tones tell all once you learn any machine.
All in, I recommend Terry Soloman's advice.
Good luck. Peace

Greysquirrel

Greenie
Oct 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Detectors are excellent machines, made in the USA and come with a Lifetime Warranty. I am not 100% positive but I believe the Warranty follows the machine. You may want to check that out! The Cortes is a great machine for coins, jewelery and even relic hunting. It operates at 10khz which works well for that type of hunting. Depending on condition (Condition is Everything) $400 seems like a fair price for a Cortes.

If you wanted to go with a new machine, I highly recommend the Tesoro Outlaw which operates at 10.6khz and is a very deep hunting machine. They can be had in the $425 range and you definitely get the Lifetime Warranty with a new machine. I just purchased a new Tesoro Outlaw about a month ago.

Tesoro no longer honors the lifetime warranty on used machines, they now charge $50 to the new owner for repairs. Don't know what the $50 covers but thats not too much to pay if you need a repair of a machine you buy used.

gimper

Jul 25, 2013
Illinois far from Chicago
Detector(s) used
CZ-6, White's Eagle 1(both broken) Compass X-100 and no pen to point (why waste batteries)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hard to beat a Tesoro, $400 bucks is a little high, $300-$350 would be a better buy, that is in my humble opinion. You can learn the machine no matter how new you are, and if you want to! and not stupid, which I'll bet your not! luck to you in your future digs!!!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had one and it isn't as simple as a Vanquero or some of the other Tesoro detectors. I hardly took it out because wasn't as much of a "turn and go" machine like the other Tesoro's and it was a little hard to read the small readout. The beauty of Tesoro detectors are the simplicity, weight and its ability to get the job done.

I paid $435 for mine and couldn't sell it at my cost. I ended up trading it for about $360 in accessories to a dealer. I've had the Cibola and Vanquero and now I currently have the Compradre and Umax Gold on hand.

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm about to upgrade from my Teknetics Delta and am seriously considering the Vaquero. I will be using it for relics and coins on dry land 99% of the time, but I do take a few beach vacations each year and I was wondering how it performs on the beach. I imagine the dry sand would be fine, but once I get near the waterline, the wet sand mineralization would play havoc with it. Is this fairly accurate?

Thanks.

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21 - 8" Coil - Tesoro Outlaw - 5", 8" & 10" Coils - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with 8" Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer & Garmin Oregon 450 GPS.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm about to upgrade from my Teknetics Delta and am seriously considering the Vaquero. I will be using it for relics and coins on dry land 99% of the time, but I do take a few beach vacations each year and I was wondering how it performs on the beach. I imagine the dry sand would be fine, but once I get near the waterline, the wet sand mineralization would play havoc with it. Is this fairly accurate?

Thanks.

It's a great machine, made in the USA and it comes with a Lifetime warranty. It should do very well on the dry beach areas. Salt beaches will be a bit of a challenge but very doable!

Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions