Cache definition

99thpercentile

Nov 2, 2006
Evergreen, CO
Detector(s) used
Geonics EM61-MK2, Geophex GEM-3, GapEOD UltraTEM III, Minelabs F3, Foerster MINEX 2FD 4.500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do the member of this forum use as their definition of a treasure cache? The reason I ask is that from a geophysical approach, what the target is, how big it is, and how deep it is would affect the choice of method and the survey design.

I assume that the pirate ship from the Goonies would ce classified as a cache.

I assume a jar of coins would be a cache.

I assume a buried safe would be a cache.

What do you define as a cache?

To me, a cache is something (typically multiple somethings) that was hidden on purpose, as opposed to lost by accident.

To me, a cache is something (typically multiple somethings) that was hidden on purpose, as opposed to lost by accident.

Yep..100% agree with Robert.

Keep in mind that a "cache" is not always a treasure, at least in the sense of coins, cash, etc. A cache is a spot where someone has intentionally placed something to be accessed at a later time. This could be food, water, weapons and/or ammunition, clothing, etc.

American fur trade had mention of caches. Even descriptions sometimes; as in Lewis and Clarks journals.

Tresure cache to me; means a deliberate squirreling away place from which to recover later. But in both a controlled and conditioned matter.

I recently recovered a peanut butter container (plastic) I used stood upright buried outdoors.
It failed to keep contents dry over the years to my surprise..
As has happened to other folks' some of other folks's buried in history. Even in properly constructed caches.
(Sans the plastic peanut butter jar.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back