Cache help!!!

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Central Coast, CA / Bolivia
Detector(s) used
White's V3, MXT All Pro, DFX, XLPro,TM-808, TDI-SL with 25" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes..have had rocks give good signals many times( with sound), usually you should have neighboring rocks read similar ... I know that's not your case. There is the small possibility that when building the wall they might have picked up what they thought was a rock to fill a hole ( METEOR)

and the second possibility is that it may be something man made ( iron, cache, etc)

If you have a graph on your detector , it may give you a spread that you can interpret and get a better idea.
also use pinpointing mode to measure the actual target size ( how long it keeps the best value) instead of using sound length.

yes old walls are good sources for caches

Gilbert

OP
OP
ruccello

ruccello

Jun 19, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236x2
I never thought about a meteorite, but I guess anything is possible. The signal is very clear, I can't even discriminate it out. It measures about 6" x 6", and the tone just drops off to nothing after that. I haven't been back to the site in a while, and don't plan on going back until the foliage starts dying, it's so overgrown I can barely move in there. I'm still not sure how to tackle the problem, but I'll let everyone know if/when I find something.

Thanks all

Richard

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cut up a few 2X4's into wedges and take them with you. You can pound them in the cracks to support load bearing rocks; and relieve pressure to others. The old time miners used them to hold stuff in place.
I know how hard it is to haul much gear in to a place. You can pick up some used car jacks and tire irons for cheap at the salvage auto parts place. You can always leave them behind for next time. Some garage door cable and cable locks to wrap around that big one for the pull. Best of luck; take a Buddie; play it safe.
If it was a meteorite it would be mine! or what ever it is.

OP
OP
ruccello

ruccello

Jun 19, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236x2
Thanks Bumpstick, I like the wedge idea. I'm compiling a list of things I'll need to bring - I think I need a dump truck for this load!

Thanks

Richard

bcs123

Aug 15, 2006
missouri
Detector(s) used
mxt
if you can reach all the way around the round rock then why not use the wedge idea to support the surounding rocks and take a chain or cable rap it around the small rock and use a come allong one end on the chain and the other end tied off to a tree and pull it out that way??? just my thoughts...

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
i say just take the entire section of wall down.....you say you have experience in wall building so you can just rebuild it when done.....just put the bigger rocks on the BOTTOM when ya do lol

bennym

Apr 13, 2008
Gardner, Ma.
Detector(s) used
American Hawks Explorer HP 1016 & Harbor Freight pin pointer
A magnet was suggested already.... I have a very strong magnet that is on an expandable shaft.... like the inspection mirrors area.... I got it at a hardware store for like $2.00... it extends about 20 inches, and will pick up a 2 pound baby sludge hammer......

You could use that to extend your reach into the hole.... hmmmm maybe also to test the rocks !
Just a thought....

Native1858

Oct 12, 2008
Colorado Springs
Yes it very well can be the hiding spot. Years back i read of a person walking out of an abandoned mine whenthey got a wild hair to scan the walls on the way out-and found coins buried and cover in a wall pocket.

Meandmy7yrdson

Nov 8, 2008
Im a newbie so maybe this isnt the right thinking but..... What about the other side of the wall? Is there anything to take loose f4rom the oppisite side?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread