Desert Hermit

Feb 1, 2014
Randsburg, California
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
gold_prospecting.jpg
My name is Bob and I spend my days prospecting for gold. This is a new adventure and I look forward to sharing it with you all. Treasure Net is the best gold forum I've come across so I've decided to join. As soon as I get the camera to work correctly I'll post a few images of my recent finds out here around the Randsburg area.

One of the main reasons I've joined is I'm quite perplexed by the test results on some specimens I've had tested by numerous people. The first acid test was done by an old miner that had a few years of training with a geologist friend. I watched as the 22 karat acid test ate the pyrite and left the gold.

I was not convinced because of the amount of visible gold contained in the samples, the old miner told me that the one sample the size of my thumb probably contained nearly an ounce of gold and I should get it assayed and file the claim.

I have since had the samples acid tested at pawn shops and jewelers, the guy at the pawn shop said it tests positive as gold, that's great. However, he then told me to speak to the man in the jewelry department who is an expert. I told him the specimen passed the acid test, he looked at them and said; "I disagree." So needless to say, I'm left confused.

I welcome any pointers and look forward to any replies. I'll get the images up ASAP. I added one just for the sake of adding an image but it is not clear at all.

All of the (possible gold) was inside veins of brownish pyrite. The smaller samples are from a vein that shows more mineralization such as copper and perhaps silver. The larger sample shows less mineralization but after acid bath leaves behind a 50/50 mix of gold and a very beautiful silvery metal. Following is an image of what the quartz looks like.
goldore.jpg

I guess my question is this, how accurate are these acid tests?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As fellow hunters come home today and boot up the tnet, you will get plenty of help. I can only wish you good luck and HH!

OP
OP
D

Desert Hermit

Feb 1, 2014
Randsburg, California
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
BigWaveDave, HH to you too. You just reminded me, it's the weekend here, I look at every day the same out here living as a hermit. ???

OP
OP
D

Desert Hermit

Feb 1, 2014
Randsburg, California
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
vpnavy, thank you, I really need to get over to the gold forum, had I started there I would have no doubt had several chime in.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

OP
OP
D

Desert Hermit

Feb 1, 2014
Randsburg, California
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
smalltowngirl13, thanks for the welcome. I once spent a 100 years in Kansas one night 8-) on the serious side that's where our clan had its' beginning. After my relatives hopped off the Mayflower they eventually made their way to Kansas. I toured Kansas one year trying to visit all the relatives I could, never was able to finish the task. One thing I can say about Kansas and that is, it sure is flat! Couldn't ask for a better spot to grow crops like wheat.

OP
OP
D

Desert Hermit

Feb 1, 2014
Randsburg, California
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Metal Detecting Stuff, turned out it is mostly that evil twin pyrite. There was a small amount that a commercial operation may be interested in but I'm off to greener pastures.

NoBootyYet

Dec 3, 2013
Birmingham, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from Birmingham, Alabama. This is a great place to share safe, effective treasure hunting information. Good luck and we look forward to seeing your cool finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread