Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi T-chest,
I'm not sure about this one.... Something just doesn't sound right, I'm not saying it's not true, just too many questions for me... First thing is I am unaware that there was a well used " wagon trail " that went from the desert to Anza. I know that Anza did take this route, but most people went by Warner's Ranch or through Indian Wells due to the fact they had water. The climb from the desert floor up to Anza is a tough one ( and the park system has this blocked off, you cannot go from the desert floor to Anza ) and if I remember right I think Anza had to disassemble some of his wagons to get up the hill. I'm hoping somebody here, who knows more, would be able to let us know if these statements are correct. Anza was the first and he was looking for anyway he could, but the story states the 1880's and by that time this route was most likely abandoned for the more used routes. Trains between LA and Palm Springs were running by 1879 and the " Sonoran Road " was being use to get to San Bernardino or beyond. As the story states " the Indians killed the Wagon Master and the guards, scattered the gold and took the Mules and Horses ", good luck on finding that, if they threw the gold off of a 4800 ft hill top it could be anywhere and scattered over a large area.... snake country lol!!!!! The last bit about someone finding a pouch full of gold dust, is most likely from a one burro desert prospector who dropped it along the way. Please keep us informed. I would like to hear if you did in fact find anything.....

Enjoy
PLL

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
I've been trying to look up any old wagon trails from the desert to Anza. I'm wondering if hwy 74 is a part of that old trail. I'm not sure. I've been looking up all kinds of things on that side of the mountain. I found a few old gold mines up near Garner Valley where the 371 & 74 meet. You can find it on google earth. just look up Hemet Bell Mine, or New Hemet Belle Mine. I can't remember which it is. I also wondered how people in (was it the sixties as the story went?) found old burned wagon remains. Shouldn't have mother earth had her way with that by then? I don't know. That's the only time I've ever found that story, and I haven't been able to find anything else on that subject. I even did a quick search on PE.com to see if I could find anything about hikers finding a bag of gold dust. If I find anything at all that might be a part of that story, I'll post it.

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peg, where did you get the trails from?

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent " years " in libraries, hours online ( Google is your friend-lol ), getting small pieces from anywhere and everywhere and always make copies. Keeping it all organized and easy to get to... One of the best resources are old issues of Desert Magazine, but you need to find the Desert Magazine index first. If you can't afford one, see if the library has one and copy it ( roughly 330pages ). Here is a link for all the back copies of Desert Magazine:

http://dezertmagazine.com/old-desert-magazine

Enjoy
PLL

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where did the trails lead after Anza? Did they all converge toward the modern 91 toward L.A? I find ti hard to believe that Anza was the main destination point.

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
The trail doesn't end in Anza. Bautista road was part of the trail that Buatista rode down. It will take to you Hemet, and I don't know where it goes from there.

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a map of the American side of the De Anza Trail, if you Google De Anza's name you get a lot of hits that would help. He basically headed up Gilman hot springs road and camped near the " disappearing lake " and named for his supervisor. Here is also a GREAT link for all thing De Anza...

http://anza.uoregon.edu/

juba_map2.jpg

Enjoy
PLL

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great! Thanks! I'm going to have to find that trail and check it out. Do you know if people are allowed to md on it?

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On private property you MUST get written permission and on park land the answer is NO!!!! Park people can not only take your detector, but also your car and any research materials you have...Not worth it, especially for me I have a complete room full of material and I would NEVER risk any of it..... But Good Luck !!!

PLL

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
Hey pegleglooker,

When you say park land do you mean State Parks, County Parks, City parks? What about BLM land. You can detect BLM land correct?

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe BLM is public land and detectable. I think.

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably a dumb question, but what about national parks?

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Customx, I am not aware of any state or nat'l park that would allow anyone to MD.... BLM is the only place that I am aware one could MD and even they can say no to those who aren't aware of the rules.... but I could be wrong....would anyone care to set the rule straight ???

Thx
PLL

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
california the land of k NO w your rights . -- ie you have few if any rights to do or get or have much of anything .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread