California

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
I thought about buying some dirt up in lucerne, but it seems so stupid, because it will take forever for anyone to want to build on it. Until the desert grows, it would be hard to sell and make a profit off of it.

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why you buy it knowing that it's a long-term investment. In the 20 years or so it will take to turn a profit on it, you detect the crap out of it, go camping, go dirt bike riding, and just generally enjoy it. The way the market is now, it's almost impossible to lose money on a real estate investment. Almost.

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pegleglooker said:
I've been looking at Hesperia and I can get a 1200-1900 sq ft home, 3 bedrooms, 2 bath for between $60K- $120K... That would mean your payments would be between $350-600 a month...... For a house not a mobile home....

http://www.realtor.com/search/searc...ome;condo-townhome-row-home-co-op/pg-1/sqft-5

Exactly! And that's much cheaper than rent in a lot of apartments. I'm currently renting and have been trying to convince my wife that we need to buy a house while the market's low but she keeps getting cold feet. We were really close a couple times but then something always spooks her out of it. I'll wear her down eventually, I just hope it isn't when the market is on the rebound.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
May I add a line about BLM detecting? Right in the written law it states that metaldetectors ARE allowed on BLM land. I also read and remember (for what it's worth) that detecting cannot be used on BLM land that has been assigned for special purposes to private interests, such as farming or cattle range. Note: these comments are as "I" remember them and may not be absolute accurate. TTC

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
I found a few new places to detect in Hemet, but I've been so busy, I haven't had time. They tore down a bunch of old houses by the San Jacinto river off of State St, and one of the old golf courses closed down. I don't think you can go in there though. It's gated off.

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasurechest said:
I found a few new places to detect in Hemet, but I've been so busy, I haven't had time. They tore down a bunch of old houses by the San Jacinto river off of State St, and one of the old golf courses closed down. I don't think you can go in there though. It's gated off.

Do you have the Google Earth coordinates of the location?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
PLL, regarding your bold letters "State" answer: Just curious, wouldn't you say this must also, by logic, apply to CA state-owned beaches too then? Afterall, they're within the state park's operated system too, right? Ie.: the same entity (state park's system) that oversees the in-land parks also oversees the state owned beaches. Ok then, why is detecting on state of CA beaches a common site? Why has no one ever cared? Barring a single brush or two (a state archie, for instance who tried to rough up a friend of mine on Seacliff State beach near Santa Cruz), detecting has simply gone on, for as long as there's been detectors, on state owned beaches here. Yup: in full view of rangers, etc.....

And I'll tell you something else: the same has been true of some state in-land parks too. There are just some that perhaps none of the rank-&-file in that particular place care, or perhaps they simply don't know the minutia of their own rules, so the matter simply hasn't crossed their mind, etc....

As for wandering the desert along the Anza trail, I personally think this would be an exercise in futility anyhow. You'd have to know where long-term recurring camp-spots were, for multiple years, with multiple persons, over long periods. Not just simply a walk route that persons used. They tend to loose things where they remained for long periods, slept, ate, played, etc..... To illistrate this, why is it that people find things at stage stops, but don't necessarily detect along stage routes? Because of course the stops were where they got out to spend their money, ate, slept, dilly-dallied around, etc... And when you wander off down the road from the stage stop (in cases where you know exactly where the old roads were aligned, and assuming they're still dirt roads), you will find that your targets immediately dry up, and the landscape goes "sterile". Oh sure, if you wandered it enough years, you *might* find a lone coin drop or toe tap or something. But basically, you're better off to hunt where the stops were, not just randomly along a trail or road.

But if someone did fancy themselves to want to hike the original Anza trail through the desert (assuming you could know exactly where it is), I highly doubt anyone's going to have a problem out there in the middle of nowhere, no matter if it's fed, state, county, or city land. I mean, heck, have you ever been out there?? I have been down in the Imperial Valley to Palm Spring route many times (ie.: the red line shown on the satellite map here), and trust me: there's no one out there in the boonies to care less. If it were me, and I had researched something out there in the desert, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to go out and hunt it. But like all public places ....... no matter how innocuous (city sandboxes, etc...): if you ask enough deskbound bureaucrats, of COURSE you can always net yourself a "no" by using the right combination of key words ("holes" "cultural artifacts" "treasure", etc...). I mean .... c'mon! ::)

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
Customx_12 said:
treasurechest said:

Yup. This place is torn down now

33°49'24.95"N 116°58'33.27"W

here's the old golf course. I really don't think we can detect this one though.

33°43'26.85N 116°57'53.41"W

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasurechest said:
Customx_12 said:
treasurechest said:

Yup. This place is torn down now

33°49'24.95"N 116°58'33.27"W

here's the old golf course. I really don't think we can detect this one though.

33°43'26.85N 116°57'53.41"W

How much of the housing tract is gone now? It looks like there's quite a bit that extends along the hillside. Is it all gone now?

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
^^ Just the trailer park that was next to the golf course is gone. the houses across the street, and west and east are all still there. Most of those are abandoned, but the Scientology guys won't let you in there. It's all posted no trespassing, which sucks because a lot of those houses look really old.

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasurechest said:
^^ Just the trailer park that was next to the golf course is gone. the houses across the street, and west and east are all still there. Most of those are abandoned, but the Scientology guys won't let you in there. It's all posted no trespassing, which sucks because a lot of those houses look really old.

Oh I've heard horror stories about those guys. I've heard people that say they've been chased away by guys with guns and that they'll send people out in trucks just to keep an eye on you if you get too close to their compounds. Weird stuff.

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom,
You're right but the penalties to me are just too heavy. They " can " take your ride, detector and come to your house and take any research you might have. My collection has taken years and tons of cash, so the " risk " for me is just too large to take.

PLL

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
Customx_12 said:
treasurechest said:

Oh I've heard horror stories about those guys. I've heard people that say they've been chased away by guys with guns and that they'll send people out in trucks just to keep an eye on you if you get too close to their compounds. Weird stuff.

I've heard people tell me that they've chased them out of there with guns a few times. There used to be an old golf course that closed down years ago just west of their castle. The old ponds where still out there, and there were Bass in them. I used to fish in there all the time, and I only got asked to leave once. I've never been chased out with guns. I think most of the stories, are probably exaggerated to keep and audience.

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasurechest said:
Did this topic suddenly die?

NEVER! I just went out there today to visit my dad and drove by the castle. That place is so bizarre. We were going to do some detecting after helping my brother move from Menifee but it ended up taking too long so no time to detect. But I'm going to Monterey with the wife tomorrow for a couple days and I'm going to hit that beach hard. Hope it pays off.

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
If you drove past that Castle, you were like two miles from my house. I live next to Mt. San Jacinto College. I wish you would have had time.

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
Ok, so I know that the Superstition mountains are in AZ. I just can't help to ask what every one elses opinion on the Peralta stones and the lost mine in those mountains. Anyone have anything to offer?

Here's my opinion

I believe in a lot of treasure stories, but I have a hard time believing in the Lost Dutchman. People have been scouring those hills for years. With that many people searching, someone should have found it by now. With today's technology, if it was there...

What do you guys think?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread