camping in mich

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Interesting - they actually have a name for it, and rules to boot !

We have frequently camped "off the beaten path" within Nicolet Chequamegon National Forest for years with no issues (never checked to see if there were rules, though), and in Alaska we were told that you can pretty much camp anywhere that isn't private property or posted as no camping. I know people in Washington state that have done the same thing there as well.

Diggem'

OP
OP
goldie1959

goldie1959

Oct 7, 2007
michigan
Detector(s) used
garrett ultra gta 500
yes more rules but i guess if free. we that are responsible and respectful and camp w/ COMMON SENSE always get stuck with rules made to reign in the dumb a--es. thanks for the reply.

Tomas Frijole

Jan 6, 2009
west branch
Detector(s) used
ace
I checked on that in the Huron State Forest. I was told to pick out my site somewhere in the forest, return to the ranger station and mark it on the map so they knew where I am camping, and prepay a $5.00 a day camping fee. A couple of years ago they wanted to sell foragers permits to pick berries on state land.

No fee I believe for US forests wilderness camping unless you are parking on a maintained location like a beach, scenic site, or campground.

While camping in the Watersmeet area US forest in the west UP labor day 08 I was informed by the rangers office of 3 or 4 isolated campgrounds that have been closed for a few years. There was no charge to use them, but were hard to find. Even the water pumps were removed but you could still make out the camp sites. Had each campground to myself, as well as the fishing. The dog was in heaven. They will give directions at the forest stations on request.

There is a group of US campgrounds off M-33 between Rose City and Mio that are pretty quiet on the week days, sometimes whole loops are empty, Mack Lake for one but its ATV central on week ends.

S

seger98

Tomas Frijole said:
I checked on that in the Huron State Forest. I was told to pick out my site somewhere in the forest, return to the ranger station and mark it on the map so they knew where I am camping, and prepay a $5.00 a day camping fee. A couple of years ago they wanted to sell foragers permits to pick berries on state land.

No fee I believe for US forests wilderness camping unless you are parking on a maintained location like a beach, scenic site, or campground.

While camping in the Watersmeet area US forest in the west UP labor day 08 I was informed by the rangers office of 3 or 4 isolated campgrounds that have been closed for a few years. There was no charge to use them, but were hard to find. Even the water pumps were removed but you could still make out the camp sites. Had each campground to myself, as well as the fishing. The dog was in heaven. They will give directions at the forest stations on request.

There is a group of US campgrounds off M-33 between Rose City and Mio that are pretty quiet on the week days, sometimes whole loops are empty, Mack Lake for one but its ATV central on week ends.

I know where there are 4 campgrounds that they no longer use, if you want to know where they are I'll take the time to give you the directions here, they are pretty easy to find.

Chris

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a state forest here that I go camping & hiking at. You only have to get a permit if you plan on camping at one of the designated camping spots. If you go rustic camping, you can camp wherever you like as long as you cover your spot and leave no traces when you leave.

Bran <><

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you :)
I'm in Missouri at the moment, going to college. I should be finished after this semester, then "possibly" moving back down to Florida.
Things are kind of "up in the air" at the moment.

Bran <><

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread